No network connection after upgrade (via 'yum')

From: Jon D. Slater (Jon.Slater_at_LPBroadband.Net)
Date: 10/24/05

    Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 09:23:43 -0600
    To: fedora-list@redhat.com

    Hi All,

    I just recently did a 'yum' update to my existing FC4 install, and
    re-booted. The 'yum update' updated my kernel.
    kernel-2.6.12-1.1456_FC4 --> kernel-2.6.13-1.1532_FC4

    My network connection stopped.

    If I look at the network support tools, it looks like everything is working.

    During boot, I see the network service start (appears fine), and the a
    long pause when trying to connect to the nntp "Time Server" (which Fails).

    If I reboot using the old (2.6.12-1.1456) kernel, everything works fine.

    Typically when I've yum-updated before, everything that's needed to
    support the kernel "comes with it".

    I'm running FC4 on an HP Pavilion 8150, with a Linksys NC100 (Network
    Everywhere Fast Ethernet 10/100 [rev 11]) card. And I've never had any
    problems, until now.

    Obviously, this isn't an urgent issue, because I can boot using the old
    kernel, but does anyone know of something I should have done?

    My first thought when this happened was that my network card had died,
    so I replaced it with a 3 Com 3c905, and got exactly the same problem.
    (That's when I tried putting the old card back in and booting using the
    old kernel.)

    Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.

    Jon

    • Re: Fedora and PCMCIA support - upgrade kernel?
      ... Rebooted and no second kernel listed. ... > not then install it. ... on the network card... ... first no network support. ...
      (comp.os.linux.setup)
    • Re: Problem with NON-Wireless network card
      ... Under previous kernel, which I still have installed, it finds this card and configures eth0 to use it. ... Since it is not in the hardware list in the network configuration utility, ... First as root in a terminal type lspci and from the list should be your Ethernet card. ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: Problem Networking on SUSE Linux 10.2
      ... Well, I can see that CNet does supply Network Interface Cards, but they ... CNet web page refers to ancient Red Hat distributions from 1999. ... I don't think you are using the right driver - but not knowing what card ... I never compiled nothing about the Kernel, but I guess that should be ...
      (alt.os.linux.suse)
    • Bug in ethernet module b44.c (2.6.7)
      ... I have Laptop Compaq nx5000 with Linux installed, and this network ... I had problems with b44 module on 2.6.6 kernel, ... network card will stop sending and receiveing packets. ...
      (Linux-Kernel)
    • Re: Problems w. Promise SATA300 TX2plus PDC40775
      ... I have a Debian Sarge system with 2.6.8-K7 linux kernel (original kernel from ... Raw IP | Low Level Network Programming ... # ACPI Support ...
      (Debian-User)