No network connection after upgrade (via 'yum')

From: Jon D. Slater (Jon.Slater_at_LPBroadband.Net)
Date: 10/24/05

    Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 09:23:43 -0600
    To: fedora-list@redhat.com

    Hi All,

    I just recently did a 'yum' update to my existing FC4 install, and
    re-booted. The 'yum update' updated my kernel.
    kernel-2.6.12-1.1456_FC4 --> kernel-2.6.13-1.1532_FC4

    My network connection stopped.

    If I look at the network support tools, it looks like everything is working.

    During boot, I see the network service start (appears fine), and the a
    long pause when trying to connect to the nntp "Time Server" (which Fails).

    If I reboot using the old (2.6.12-1.1456) kernel, everything works fine.

    Typically when I've yum-updated before, everything that's needed to
    support the kernel "comes with it".

    I'm running FC4 on an HP Pavilion 8150, with a Linksys NC100 (Network
    Everywhere Fast Ethernet 10/100 [rev 11]) card. And I've never had any
    problems, until now.

    Obviously, this isn't an urgent issue, because I can boot using the old
    kernel, but does anyone know of something I should have done?

    My first thought when this happened was that my network card had died,
    so I replaced it with a 3 Com 3c905, and got exactly the same problem.
    (That's when I tried putting the old card back in and booting using the
    old kernel.)

    Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.

    Jon