Re: question re list

From: David-Paul Niner (dpniner_at_dpniner.net)
Date: 10/26/05

    Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 22:35:55 -0400
    To: For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list@redhat.com>

    I've read over Mr. Raymond's doctorate on how to ask questions the
    "smart way" in the past (usually when I need to induce vomiting
    quickly), and I can tell you that, although the man's intentions were
    good, the document comes across as just a bit heavy handed.

    Also, I've read over the poster's original question, and it seems as
    though he did provide quite a bit of information.

    David-Paul Niner

    kwhiskers wrote:

    > On 25/10/05, *Craig White* <craigwhite@azapple.com
    > <mailto:craigwhite@azapple.com>> wrote:
    >
    > On Tue, 2005-10-25 at 15:09 -0600, kwhiskers wrote:
    > > How does one get a question answered on this list?
    > >
    > > I have posted my question, including all the relevant details, twice
    > > and have not received one response.
    > >
    > ----
    > Since you asked...

    > <http://www.catb.org/%7Eesr/faqs/smart-questions.html>
    >
    > Craig
    >

    > --
    > believed to be clean.
    >
    > --
    >

    > I have glanced at the article. Perhaps you think my question is not
    > technical enough or off topic? Or that I haven't tried hard enough to
    > find the solution myself?
    >
    > Well, I have scoured the documentation on hotplug, automount, udev,
    > autofs (though I prefer not to use this method. It's not used for
    > automountng cds, so there must be another way), etc etc.
    >
    > I have scoured dozens and dozens of pages on google. They are all
    > pointing to the same ideas I have had, but no solutions are posted, or
    > when there are any, they are complicated patchwork scripts that one
    > should trustingly run on one's system. No thanks.
    >
    > Then the solutions are all ancient, dating from 2000-early 2004,
    > pre-Fedora 3, in any cae, which would lead one to suspect that this
    > problem has long since been solved in the newer distributions.
    >
    > I have looked into supermount, pmount, usbmount, kde volume manager,
    > all of which are either old software no longer being maintained, for
    > debian but never released for other distros (leading one to suspect
    > they are not required there), etc etc.
    >
    > I have spent at last 3 days on this working from afternoon into the
    > night. I have run every permutation and combination of fstab, udev
    > rules and whatever I could think of, rebooting, mounting and
    > umounting, all to no avail.
    >
    > Finally, I rewrote the subject line, in the hope that the problem
    > might pique more interest if phrased differently.
    >
    > So, what is the 'smart way' to ask?
    >
    > --
    > believed to be clean.

    believed to be clean.

    • Re: Virus that causes a lot of traffic ?
      ... Earlier I failed to mention that those viruses were found ... I am just wondering how to best clean or delete those ... >yes they can cause high bandwidth usage on your network ... Housecall can not clean it. ...
      (microsoft.public.win2000.general)
    • Re: Firefox on 9.04 wont play videos at YouTube
      ... When I installed 9.04, it found the internet OK, but 9.1 cannot find it by itself, and I cant make it. ... This message has been scanned for viruses and ... dangerous content by MailScanner, and is ... believed to be clean. ...
      (Ubuntu)
    • Re: Virus: No Sound; Task Manager maxing out CPU
      ... It found 331 viruses! ... Never assume that any single product will clean your computer. ... What kind of steps would you take to be able to "certify" a machine as ... "Certified" free of known malware of all types when returned to the ...
      (alt.comp.anti-virus)
    • Re: Virus: No Sound; Task Manager maxing out CPU
      ... It found 331 viruses! ... I use David's tool and MBAM on machines that have been compromised where the owner has not requested that I certify the machines as clean. ... Anything that you're willing to SIGN a statement that the machine is "Certified" free of known malware of all types when returned to the customer - in most cases there is liability involved if you don't do it properly. ...
      (alt.comp.anti-virus)
    • Re: Millar Line: a bit of history.
      ... and I suspect there are many people who are ... generation - led by the likes of David Millar (just pipped by Jan ... It's a perfect gem, almost too perfect ... Of course, as we all know now, only Millar among these is clean. ...
      (rec.bicycles.tech)