Re: question re list

From: David-Paul Niner (dpniner_at_dpniner.net)
Date: 10/26/05

    Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 22:35:55 -0400
    To: For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list@redhat.com>

    I've read over Mr. Raymond's doctorate on how to ask questions the
    "smart way" in the past (usually when I need to induce vomiting
    quickly), and I can tell you that, although the man's intentions were
    good, the document comes across as just a bit heavy handed.

    Also, I've read over the poster's original question, and it seems as
    though he did provide quite a bit of information.

    David-Paul Niner

    kwhiskers wrote:

    > On 25/10/05, *Craig White* <craigwhite@azapple.com
    > <mailto:craigwhite@azapple.com>> wrote:
    >
    > On Tue, 2005-10-25 at 15:09 -0600, kwhiskers wrote:
    > > How does one get a question answered on this list?
    > >
    > > I have posted my question, including all the relevant details, twice
    > > and have not received one response.
    > >
    > ----
    > Since you asked...

    > <http://www.catb.org/%7Eesr/faqs/smart-questions.html>
    >
    > Craig
    >

    > --
    > believed to be clean.
    >
    > --
    >

    > I have glanced at the article. Perhaps you think my question is not
    > technical enough or off topic? Or that I haven't tried hard enough to
    > find the solution myself?
    >
    > Well, I have scoured the documentation on hotplug, automount, udev,
    > autofs (though I prefer not to use this method. It's not used for
    > automountng cds, so there must be another way), etc etc.
    >
    > I have scoured dozens and dozens of pages on google. They are all
    > pointing to the same ideas I have had, but no solutions are posted, or
    > when there are any, they are complicated patchwork scripts that one
    > should trustingly run on one's system. No thanks.
    >
    > Then the solutions are all ancient, dating from 2000-early 2004,
    > pre-Fedora 3, in any cae, which would lead one to suspect that this
    > problem has long since been solved in the newer distributions.
    >
    > I have looked into supermount, pmount, usbmount, kde volume manager,
    > all of which are either old software no longer being maintained, for
    > debian but never released for other distros (leading one to suspect
    > they are not required there), etc etc.
    >
    > I have spent at last 3 days on this working from afternoon into the
    > night. I have run every permutation and combination of fstab, udev
    > rules and whatever I could think of, rebooting, mounting and
    > umounting, all to no avail.
    >
    > Finally, I rewrote the subject line, in the hope that the problem
    > might pique more interest if phrased differently.
    >
    > So, what is the 'smart way' to ask?
    >
    > --
    > believed to be clean.

    believed to be clean.