Odd FC4 installation issue

From: MJang (mike_at_mommabears.com)
Date: 11/17/05

    To: fedora-list@redhat.com
    Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 17:00:11 -0800

    Folks,

    I've just tried installing FC4 on a slightly older Sony GR290,
    with /boot on hda14 and / on hda15. (I also have Windoze, Ubuntu, RHEL
    WS 3, and SUSE 10 on this system).

    Once the install is complete, it doesn't even write the bootloader to
    the hard disk (as directed). When I go into rescue mode, the only thing
    in the /boot/grub directory is the splash screen (splash.xpm.gz) file.

    As it boots, I get strange messages:

    1) suggesting that selinux is enabled (I disabled during install)
    2) saying "cannot open /etc/fstab" due to "permission denied"
    3) lots of similar "permission denied" messages
    4) the boot process never finishes after install - I get the spawning
    too fast message reminiscent of a problem with xfs

    Since there's nothing of importance in /boot/grub (i.e., I should see
    files such as stage1, stage2), it's not like I can do a
    grub-install /dev/hda.

    I also wonder if there's a missing element during the install. I've
    redone the install once, and confirmed that nothing gets into /boot but
    the splash screen. However, I've been able to use this DVD just fine for
    a VMWare FC4 install, and all the normal /boot/grub files are there in
    my VMWare version of FC4.

    Suggestions would be appreciated.

    Thanks,
    Mike