Odd FC4 installation issue

From: MJang (mike_at_mommabears.com)
Date: 11/17/05

    To: fedora-list@redhat.com
    Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 17:00:11 -0800

    Folks,

    I've just tried installing FC4 on a slightly older Sony GR290,
    with /boot on hda14 and / on hda15. (I also have Windoze, Ubuntu, RHEL
    WS 3, and SUSE 10 on this system).

    Once the install is complete, it doesn't even write the bootloader to
    the hard disk (as directed). When I go into rescue mode, the only thing
    in the /boot/grub directory is the splash screen (splash.xpm.gz) file.

    As it boots, I get strange messages:

    1) suggesting that selinux is enabled (I disabled during install)
    2) saying "cannot open /etc/fstab" due to "permission denied"
    3) lots of similar "permission denied" messages
    4) the boot process never finishes after install - I get the spawning
    too fast message reminiscent of a problem with xfs

    Since there's nothing of importance in /boot/grub (i.e., I should see
    files such as stage1, stage2), it's not like I can do a
    grub-install /dev/hda.

    I also wonder if there's a missing element during the install. I've
    redone the install once, and confirmed that nothing gets into /boot but
    the splash screen. However, I've been able to use this DVD just fine for
    a VMWare FC4 install, and all the normal /boot/grub files are there in
    my VMWare version of FC4.

    Suggestions would be appreciated.

    Thanks,
    Mike

    • Re: FC4 Inspiron 9300 etho trouble
      ... Need help accessing Internet on Inspiron 9300 & newly installed FC4. ... Used another computer to download ethernet controller source files from Broadcom, but when I follow Readme instructions to use rpmbuild I get error ... I've been unable to install the Broadcom etho controller. ...
      (Fedora)
    • FC4 Installation Report (3 failed 1 success)
      ... I have tried to install both x86 and x86_64 DVD on 3 difference ... FC4 test 3 doesn't ... Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: Sharing file systems
      ... I have ubuntu 5.10 on my system and using FC3 since it was released. ... I tried to install FC4 on my system by sharing the swap and /home ... My question is that can is sharing /home okay for a long run or will ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: Grub doesnt install
      ... My problem is, though, that I can't boot FC4 at all, because grub didn't ... contains lilo from my install of Mandrake, ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: Problems installing FC4 on Dell Optiplex GX620
      ... there is a good reason. ... I will probably give FC5 a shot on the Dell Optiplex GX620 when I get it ... I did manage to finally install FC4 on Friday. ...
      (Fedora)