RE: xmms error ( alsa_get_mixer(): Attaching to mixer hw:0 failed: No such device )

odds are permissions are too tight on some files, problems is which files?

that i dont know...

-----Original Message-----
From: fedora-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx on behalf of redhatdude@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Sat 12/24/2005 11:28 PM
To: For users of Fedora Core releases
Subject: xmms error ( alsa_get_mixer(): Attaching to mixer hw:0 failed: No such device )

Hi,
I installed xmms-mp3 from livna repo. The problem that I'm having now
is that when I launch xmms with root I can play mp3 files. However,
when I launch it as a regular user then I get an error saying
"Couldn't open audio" and bellow it also says "Please check that:
Your soundcard is configured properly, You have the correct output
selected, No other program is blocking the soundcard"
Trying to configure ALSA as the output plugin gives me less options
for a regular user than I get with root. With root I get a Mixer Card
while as a regular user I have nothing and nothing appears in the
drop down menu for this option.
I'm getting this option when I launch it from a terminal: ** WARNING
**: alsa_get_mixer(): Attaching to mixer hw:0 failed: No such device
This doesn't happen if I launch it as root.
What is going on here?
Thanks,
EJ

<<winmail.dat>>

-- fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx

  • xmms error ( alsa_get_mixer(): Attaching to mixer hw:0 failed: No such device )
    ... The problem that I'm having now is that when I launch xmms with root I can play mp3 files. ... However, when I launch it as a regular user then I get an error saying "Couldn't open audio" and bellow it also says "Please check that: Your soundcard is configured properly, You have the correct output selected, No other program is blocking the soundcard" ... Trying to configure ALSA as the output plugin gives me less options for a regular user than I get with root. ...
    (Fedora)
  • [opensuse] Re: How to run VMPlayer using a regular user account?
    ... I run vmplayer as root, ... modules have been compiled as root, if I launch it as a regular user it ... doesn't compile anything and fails ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: [opensuse] Running a program as root from desktop panel
    ... This is obviously to launch a program from my panel as I mentioned and ... I'm obviously not root so there is no need to make a script which is ... doesn't require gnome or kde and it solves my problem. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: [opensuse] File Manager Super User mode in oS 11.2
    ... mode any task launched from dolphin should also run as super user. ... task launched with a root powered file manager to have root powers? ... not launch root powered anything.. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: No console mouse support in Midnight Commander
    ... I have not had any luck getting console mouse support to work with Fedora ... I want to be able to do it without having to be root. ... Commander when I am logged in as a regular user. ...
    (Fedora)