Re: How to install LVM partition? --related

On Sat, 2006-04-01 at 14:01 -0500, ron wrote:

I have fc3 on /dev/sda. I just successfully installed fc5 on a new
drive /dev/sdb, but on reboot th e new os does not show up on the grub
choose and boot screen.

Simple answer: If you manage to access the second drive, just copy the
part in its /boot/grub/grub.conf file for booting its fedora (the four
lines starting from the "title" one) into the first drives grub.conf
file. The hardest part about that for a newcomer is how to access that
file.

/boot/grub.conf:

# grub.conf generated by anaconda
#
# NOTICE: You have a /boot partition. This means that
# all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.
# root (hd0,0)
# kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00
# initrd /initrd-version.img
#boot=/dev/sda
default=1
timeout=20
splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
#hiddenmenu
title Memtest86+ v1.65
kernel /memtest86+-1.65
title Fedora Core (2.6.11-11_FC3asl)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.11-11_FC3asl ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00
initrd /initrd-2.6.11-11_FC3asl.img

If you knew what kernel is on FC4, you could probably copy the above
"Fedora Core" stanza replacing the root(hd0,0) with root(hd1,0), vmlinuz
and initrd lines with the appropriately different kernel and initrd file
names, and VolGroup01 instead of VolGroup00.

title Fedora Core 5
root (hd1,0)
kernel /vmlinuz- {something} ro root=/dev/VolGroup01/LogVol00
initrd /initrd- {something}

Replacing those {something} bits with the correct details for your FC5.

If you go into the GRUB console, you can try this out by hand, typing
one line after another (type in the root line, hit enter, then the next
one, and so on), and using tab completion. (Read the grub info file, I
strongly recommend you do this.)

It's also possible to put an entry into your first drives grub.conf file
to just boot from the other drive. You'd then go from GRUB on the first
drive over to GRUB on the second, seeing one menu after another. You'd
do it something *like* the following, but it's been ages since I've done
this:

title Boot from the other drive
rootnoverify (hd1,0)
chainloader +1
boot

Again, read the info file (the man file is truncated).

I read messages from the public lists.

  • Re: Problem booting OS on IDE PCI adaptor card with Grub in MBR of hda
    ... I can see what it says about the card, as I'd used the supplied boot ... either have to put up with using the floppy for FC1, ... Well, with the BIOS showing all 3 hard drives, I wonder if the error ... message you are getting is actually from the Grub install on hde ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: New boot error message
    ... for my windows installation to boot up. ... It looks like you have grub in the MBR of the boot disk, ... access drives marked as bootable so it was failing to find my 3TB drive. ...
    (uk.comp.homebuilt)
  • Re: Problem booting OS on IDE PCI adaptor card with Grub in MBR of hda
    ... trying to boot FC1. ... to do, and just use hde, which is on the IDE PCI adaptor card for backups ... Well, with the BIOS showing all 3 hard drives, I wonder if the error ... message you are getting is actually from the Grub install on hde ...
    (Fedora)
  • grub Error 23 Selected Disk Does Not Exist - but it does!
    ... These drives contain Windows XP Pro and I ... am trying to set-up a dual boot system. ... and on the Slave while Fedora is on a 40 Gig partition. ... word GRUB and a flashing cursor. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: [SLE] please!! help me, completly lost!
    ... >machine which was equipped with hard drives configured as RAID.. ... or else to boot from a floppy. ... This is due to a bug in grub. ... Once booted you can switch to grub and setup the MBR on both drives. ...
    (SuSE)