Re: block emails with Fetchmail...

On Mon, 2006-06-19 at 12:27 -0400, Phil top-posted:
I am using Rquest Tracker email system... So Fetchmail gets the email
from a pop server and delivers them locally and RT (Request Tracker)
picks them up from the local mail folder for the user. So procmail
would go in between the two?

Yes.

When you say fetchmail "delivers them locally", do you mean fetchmail
passes the mail on to the local smtp daemon for local delivery, or
fetchmail passes the mail on to a local mda (see fetchmail docs) for
delivery? Either can work with procmail, as long as your local smtp
daemon is using procmail for local delivery, or you use procmail
directly as the mda in fetchmail.

Paul.

  • Re: [opensuse] Why using postfix at all? [Was: Why is dovecot using user home directory?]
    ... spamd/spamc called from procmail takes 1..3 seconds per email in my machine, but often it goes up to 5 seconds per email, and even more. ... Well, if you use fetchmail calling procmail directly, only one email at a time can be processed, but if you put postfix in the toolchain, it queues email internally, and does so safely, because fetchmail can not tell the imap/pop server to delete that email till postfix has saved it to a file in the queue, and tells fetchmail "Ok, I got it". ... This way fetchmail can run at top speed, without waiting for spam/av processing, because postfix is safely storing email in queues on disk, prior to processing it. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: [procmail] [sed] [awk] cleaning up mail headers
    ... > I am trying to write a command line for procmail that takes the From: ... > header field from an email and cleans it up into just the email address. ... (I'm assuming here that you call fetchmail which then calls ... alias fetchmail like so: ...
    (comp.unix.admin)
  • Re: Fetchmail revisited
    ... > deposited into one email account which I access via pop [my isp calls ... The change is done by both by your provider and fetchmail. ... Use `procmail` to filter the mail. ... forward 'root' to your main account. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: [opensuse] Procmail: Filter & Resend
    ... You may better use fetchmail. ... What's missing is the catch-all case (multi drop mailboxes). ... Procmail is a mail delivery agent. ... The problem is that there are a number of Received fields. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: block emails with Fetchmail...
    ... So do I replace fetchmail with procmail or is procmail in addition to? ... Once your MTA decides to deliver a message locally, it hands the mail over to a local mailer. ... Once fetchmail fetches your email, it'll send the mail to the host it is running on on port 25. ... be delivered locally via your systemâs MDA (Mail Delivery Agent, usually sendmail(8) but your system may ...
    (Fedora)