Re: linux BIOS

Thufir wrote:

Has anyone out there installed linux into their flash ROM for better
booting? Just curious :)

Yes... in fact this was how the first Linux ran on the Xbox.

But there are drawbacks for desktop use. You have to bring up the motherboard like the old BIOS did before running Linux, that means specific support is needed for your motherboard. If it is listed here

http://www.linuxbios.org/index.php/Supported_Motherboards

then fine, otherwise you are looking at a lot of work for uncertain benefit. Typically the initscripts are taking much more time than grabbing the kernel from HDD and getting through that part of the boot.

With a Fedora kernel, you need some space for the initrd. Updating your kernel no longer fits into the Fedora model either.

Better solution for fast boot, try hibernate. On current development kernels, Hibernate is working on this laptop for the first time and it is a very nice improvement.

-Andy

  • upgrade to kernel-smp-2.6.5-1.358 on a P4P800 motherboard
    ... with this motherboard, so I had to burn a special ISO to be able to ... Nu I can see that the up2date tool wants me tu update my kernel to the ... kernel-smp-2.6.5-1.358 Fedora build kernel. ... Or will that update break my system on this motherboard? ...
    (Fedora)
  • RE: Anyone using an Intel D915GAV Motherboard?
    ... The 'workaround' was type some 'whatever' kernel in the ... Anyone using an Intel D915GAV Motherboard? ... There is a kernel panic at boot time. ... > Because the fedora logo at boot its just a white screen. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Iomega ZIP-100 drive unsupported with jmicron JMB361 chip?
    ... After compilation and installation of the kernel rpm, ... Note that my Fedora 7 and Fedora 8 distributions share no directories ... # IPVS transport protocol load balancing support ... # AX.25 network device drivers ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: Iomega ZIP-100 drive unsupported with jmicron JMB361 chip?
    ... After compilation and installation of the kernel rpm, ... Note that my Fedora 7 and Fedora 8 distributions share no directories ... # IPVS transport protocol load balancing support ... # AX.25 network device drivers ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: [Xen-devel] Xen patches merged to upstream Linux 2.6.36, plans for 2.6.37?
    ... I must apologize to have to say that Intel IGD VGA passthrough to my Windows XP Home Edition HVM domU did not succeed/work with Xen 4.0.1-rc6-pre hypervisor and Jeremy Fitzhardinge's pv-ops dom0 kernel 2.6.32.19 in my earlier email. ... I have just added a section to my /boot/grub/grub.conf to enable serial console for Xen 4.0.1-rc6-pre and pv-ops dom0 kernel 2.6.32.19 for kernel debugging/troubleshooting. ... title Fedora with Serial Console ...
    (Linux-Kernel)