Re: yum problem - and solution

On Tue, 2006-10-31 at 11:26 +0000, Timothy Murphy wrote:
(2) Why did "yum clean all" not solve the problem?

Guesses:

On subsequent uses of YUM, you used a different mirror source, one that
was in a fit-to-be-used condition.

In the meantime, the repo changed from being not-ready to being read.

------------

There seems to be something really bad about how YUM mirrors update. It
seems like every time I want to use one, it's not in a usable state. I
nearly always have to do a "yum clean metadata" before I can do a yum
update or install, and sometimes I have to do it several times (i.e. it
clears out the problematic repo data that's been downloaded, and tries
yet another set of mirrors.

Surely there's a need for some better system of co-ordination? Or, at
least, when you contact some repo mirror that its repo data reflects
what is usable on *it*, not what's potentially going to be available,
and it only updates after the latest RPMs and headers are ready.

Just looking at the usual mess, it seems like mirrors don't have their
descriptive data and RPM headers and files in sync.

I read messages from the public lists.

  • Re: Comments on the fastestmirror plugin
    ... The yum fastestmirror plugin claims ... to the candidate mirrors and order them according to response ... decided that my closest repo was in Puerto Rico, ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Comments on the fastestmirror plugin
    ... The yum fastestmirror plugin claims ... to the candidate mirrors and order them according to response ... decided that my closest repo was in Puerto Rico, ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: yum problem - and solution
    ... the repo changed from being not-ready to being read. ... There seems to be something really bad about how YUM mirrors update. ... clears out the problematic repo data that's been downloaded, ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: cannot update with yum
    ... Yum had a problem accessing the repo that you configured for "base". ... alternate repo; however, there were no other mirrors defined in ...
    (Fedora)
  • yum in the tarpits (was Re: blacklisting domains for yum?)
    ... I guess I have to look closer to home for my problems with yum. ... yum update, and the fedora/primary_db part goes just fine, maxes my ... Read in the newspapers there were some attacks in progress in the ... trying to read repositories on Chinese mirrors, ...
    (Fedora)