Bonehead Move

I love cutting and pasting to and from my xterm. This time however I cut and pasted a preceding space from the directory name I was trying to rm -fr. Thus I ended up doing rm -fr ./ mydir. Goodbye home dir.

I quickly shut down and imaged the hard drive onto another server. Doing a little research I discovered I could mount the image using a loopback device. I wanted to try running foremost or some other tool to see what I could recover.

I got the loopback working and can see all the partitions in the image. Since its a volume managed device I'm now stuck. I can see the partitions but I can't think of how to get around the lvm part to mount them and see the actual contents. I'm not that lvm proficient quite yet.

Does anybody have any hits? Anybody maybe have some experience making this type of mistake and have some advice on trying to recover the data from it?

And yes, I am now in the process of implementing a backup system :(

TIA - Tod

  • Re: ext3 partition is not accessible
    ... sudden Linux started to freeze and I lost access to the harddisk hda3. ... don't ever try to mount any of those partitions again. ... mount and fsck and hopefully recover your data. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • RE: Digital Evidence Question - What is an effective Windows hard -disk search tool?
    ... First of all I never said EnCase could recover lost clusters that had been ... partitions and recover files from found partitions. ... install because the O/S overwrote the files. ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: Fat Fingered An rm -rf of Important Files
    ... separate partitions isn't an excuse for regular backups. ... Obviously we're talking about a USB stick, ... Oh no, not a USB stick, I'm talking hdd partitions but it will be the same process. ... Found a Windows program to recover deleted stuff on UFS, but I imagine it's harder touse then the above. ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: Recovering data from hard drive
    ... Gentoo LINUX you can recover the data from both partitions to an NTFS or ... I keep one of the SLAX disks in each of my offices. ...
  • Re: Lost file after transfer to new hard disk
    ... I have used EasyRecovery Professional to recover important data. ... >>> New: 120Gb Samsung SpinPoint ... >>> Select one of the partitions and assigned a drive letter. ... >>> Shut down windows, removed the IBM and put the samsung as primary ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)