Re: When to update?

On Wed, Feb 28, 2007 at 20:00:26 -0500,
Matthew Miller <mattdm@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, Feb 28, 2007 at 06:51:23PM -0600, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
If you are connected to the internet in any way, your machine will get
hacked and you will become part of a botnet serving spam or worse. This is
pretty much an inevitability.
It isn't that bad. If you block inbound connections by default and do your
own updates of services that are accessible from the network, and don't
have any untrusted local users, you are fairly safe. If you are only going
to have a couple network services available, it might be enough less work
to be worthwhile.

You also have to not ever use network client software. For example, the
mozilla package in FC4, and everything linked against it, is high risk.

Yes, I should have mentioned you need to watch your web browser, email and
news clients. However, since people generally only use one client in each
category this doesn't add a lot of work.

It may not happen immediately, and I'm sure we'll get a half-dozen anecdotes
of the "hasn't happen to me" variety, but overall, it's a near-certainty.

I don't think the risk is that much different than getting updates from
Fedora. The key packages are getting updated either way.

If you wanted Fedora to be something else, you should have worked on Fedora
Legacy. As it is, that's dead. So, if you want to not update frequently, use
a distribution that's designed with a long lifespan.

That's good general advice. However, that doesn't mean there are exceptional
cases where people could use Fedora out of support without a lot of
effort and without a big difference in risk of getting their machine hacked.

  • Re: Defending ARP Spoofing
    ... As stated by others the network design ... will help mitigate some risk. ... You did state that your concern was as a client in an environment that ... Put the extra efforts into protecting critical business ...
    (comp.security.misc)
  • RE: Network steganography-What is the risk?
    ... Network steganography-What is the risk? ... I have a case where a client has a video network where only camera feed transits. ... The client is afraid an ill intentioned person would try to insert network steganography impregnated malware through the video feeds. ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: NFS/SAMBA shares
    ... I set up an NFS share and a samba share. ... network but i don't get an error or anything, ... migration from xp client to fedora client network. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Cups with local and remote printers
    ... process of being upgraded to fedora 10. ... cups client so everything goes to the printserver. ... and any browsed cups printers on the local net. ... Network Options ...
    (Fedora)
  • RE: Lost my outlook contact... :(
    ... the network configuration is started from a web page located ... client computer, you will see a welcome page to invite you to start the ... local user profiles to the domain user profile. ... Before joining client computers to the network, ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)