Don't know where to start
- From: Reuven <reuven@xxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 03:45:54 -0500
My system has slowly deteriorated, and I'm not sure when it started,
but now I can barely boot up.
During both shut down and start up the system often freezes after I get
screens full of what looks like memory addresses.
As far as startup goes, the freezing seems to occur at random
places--always at a different point in process.
Here are the files in /boot:
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 63259 Dec 20 14:03 config-2.6.18-1.2869.fc6
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 66770 Jan 10 18:02 config-2.6.19-1.2895.fc6
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Jan 19 11:25 grub
-rw------- 1 root root 1552461 Jan 3 04:57 initrd-2.6.18-1.2869.fc6.img
-rw------- 1 root root 1559754 Jan 19 11:25 initrd-2.6.19-1.2895.fc6.img
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 95650 Dec 20 14:03 symvers-2.6.18-1.2869.fc6.gz
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 98762 Jan 10 18:03 symvers-2.6.19-1.2895.fc6.gz
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1123981 Dec 20 14:03 System.map-2.6.18-1.2869.fc6
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1163558 Jan 10 18:02 System.map-2.6.19-1.2895.fc6
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1979654 Dec 20 14:03 vmlinuz-2.6.18-1.2869.fc6
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2143133 Jan 10 18:02 vmlinuz-2.6.19-1.2895.fc6
Xfce 4 Desktop Environment
version 4.4.0 (Xfce 4.4)
In the beginning (4 months ago) I started with gnome, then tried Xface
and KDE. I liked KDE, so was using it, but it really went wacko the
last few weeks, so Xface seems to work better.
When I do get booted up these problems happen regularly:
* Firefox will work for a while--sometimes not at all, then will
just shut down. If I try to start it again, I get a message
"cannot start browser"
* Software updater Freezes up and then I cannot close it, even
with task manager
* If I try to Add/Remove Software it usually closes down when I
* When I try yum update in a terminal window. I get segmentation
error. Also mono-core has a missing dependency.
* There are other updates which have for a while not updated
either because "no mirror found", or because of missing
* Sometimes when I select quit from Xface menu I get message that
i cannot quit, so i have to do it from a terminal window.
I noticed that the main partition I use for Linux is mostly full. I
tried to use gparted to increase the size of the partition. I made room
to make ti bigger, but since it is the active partition I can;t touch
it. How can I do this?
Please cc me on reply, Thank you,
fedora-list mailing list
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
- Prev by Date: yum in fc6
- Next by Date: Re: Don't know where to start
- Previous by thread: yum in fc6
- Next by thread: Re: Don't know where to start