Ubuntu 1, Fedora 0

Yesterday I downloaded and burnt the Ubuntu Live CD (6.06),
and it worked like perfectly on the 4 machines I tried it on.

The rather ancient version of Knoppix I have
also works perfectly on all the machines I have tried it on.

I downloaded and burnt the Fedora-7 Test Live CD some time ago,
and this does not boot on any machine I've tried it on.

I asked a few weeks ago if anyone had successfully booted from this CD,
but I only got advice on how to test the CD;
nobody replied that they had actually got it to work.

In my experience there is something basically wrong
with the CD reading part of Fedora CDs,
as many people report problems installing Fedora this way.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366

  • Re: Problem with first fedora install
    ... wish we could find someone with the background to fix this. ... I have several machines waiting on Fedora Core 2 because ... I am not yet enough of a kernel ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: [SLE] SUSE 9.3: buggy as hell
    ... > whether to stick with SuSE. ... > Centos, Fedora, Ubuntu, etc. ... I don't know where the final bug was.. ... loaded 9.3 on one of these same machines yesterday and it took 3 ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Samba wont dance (more info)
    ... act as a DHCP server - my machines in the basement are plugged directly into ... I next opened up the smbk4 utility and ran a network scan; ... why can't Fedora do that? ... the firewall blocks one of those ports, ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Catch-22 : wide monitor -- Surprise!
    ... were mythical beasts when even the newest of my machines were built. ... After much tedious labor and more bitter cursing, I got Fedora ... the partitioning, choice of hard drives (id est, protection of that poor ... I'll never install Fedora again -- and I may ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Upgrades driving me crazy....
    ... We have 7 fedora servers all providing public facing services over a range of different functionalities. ... It's a bit of a pain, but we keep all of our machines on the latest release. ... We treat each upgrade as an opportunity to do scheduled maintainance on that machine and twice a year seems to work out pretty well. ... We just link our scheduled maintainance to the dates for the Fedora updates and kill two birds with one stone. ...
    (Fedora)