Re: Ubuntu 1, Fedora 0

On 3/16/07, Timothy Murphy <tim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Yesterday I downloaded and burnt the Ubuntu Live CD (6.06),
and it worked like perfectly on the 4 machines I tried it on.

The rather ancient version of Knoppix I have
also works perfectly on all the machines I have tried it on.

I downloaded and burnt the Fedora-7 Test Live CD some time ago,
and this does not boot on any machine I've tried it on.

I asked a few weeks ago if anyone had successfully booted from this CD,
but I only got advice on how to test the CD;
nobody replied that they had actually got it to work.

In my experience there is something basically wrong
with the CD reading part of Fedora CDs,
as many people report problems installing Fedora this way.

I have had mostly success in booting the F7 Test LiveCD. I think it
didn't work with one machine of mine but worked in several others. I
was actually quite surprised that Compiz worked on a few.

They have done a good job so far AFAICT but obviously the job is not
done (that is what the "Test" means). Comparing stable releases to
test releases is unfair. What might make your posting less trolling
FUD and more useful is if you actually posted the specs of your
machines (including CD-ROM models) where if failed allowing the devs
in charge of that project to make it better and maybe make it work for
you in the future. You also might try reburning the CD and maybe doing
a media check before booting to it.

Generic "You suck and someone else is better" messages are rarely
helpful and rarely receive friendly responses. "You suck and here are
the specific details about how you suck" get a slightly better
response.

/Mike

  • Re: Problem with first fedora install
    ... wish we could find someone with the background to fix this. ... I have several machines waiting on Fedora Core 2 because ... I am not yet enough of a kernel ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: [SLE] SUSE 9.3: buggy as hell
    ... > whether to stick with SuSE. ... > Centos, Fedora, Ubuntu, etc. ... I don't know where the final bug was.. ... loaded 9.3 on one of these same machines yesterday and it took 3 ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Samba wont dance (more info)
    ... act as a DHCP server - my machines in the basement are plugged directly into ... I next opened up the smbk4 utility and ran a network scan; ... why can't Fedora do that? ... the firewall blocks one of those ports, ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: NoMachines client access to Gnome on F7 (Alex) (Tim) (Alex)
    ... so the Fedora machines seem to be forwarding their names to the router ... whether or not it can function as a DNS. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Catch-22 : wide monitor -- Surprise!
    ... were mythical beasts when even the newest of my machines were built. ... After much tedious labor and more bitter cursing, I got Fedora ... the partitioning, choice of hard drives (id est, protection of that poor ... I'll never install Fedora again -- and I may ...
    (Fedora)