Re: [Fedora] Re: RAID-1 Question

"Ashley M. Kirchner" <ashley@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:
The reason I ask is because we can't have this amount of down time
when doing this. I need to be able to run this machine with minimal
downtime. So I need to figure out a way to be able to add drives,
grow the RAID, and at the same time keep running while this is all
happening. Sounds like having the BIOS manage the RAID is not the way
to go because it takes too long.

My machine was running the whole time I was rearranging things, except
for the few minutes it took to physically swap disks (hot swap doesn't
work). The logical volumes I was moving around were *in use* while I
was moving them. That's why I do it that way. If your hardware does
hot swap, there's no need to stop *anything* if you use my system.

The only catch is that you should use explicit FSIDs when exporting,
to avoid the "stale nfs handle" when you reboot, but this is a feature
of LVM, not raid.

  • Move AD to another Drive
    ... in (3 total during swap), what is my best way of "Moving" AD files to the ... There's no RAID etc.... ... Prev by Date: ...
  • Re: [SLE] SUSE 9.0, software RAID, and booting
    ... I do not want any of the drives holding parts of swap to crash the ... It looks like I will have to go with LILO instead of GRUB. ... have to establish the RAID after the initial setup. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: [opensuse] Swap Software RAID 1 not working, SuSE 10.3
    ... raid 5 actually and it also suffers the same problem. ... must change this in 10.3 in order to get swap on raid 1 or raid 5 ... physical drives to make up multiple raid arrays, if my swap partition ... I have 3 G of RAM and I rarely use any swap on disk, ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: [opensuse] Swap Software RAID 1 not working, SuSE 10.3
    ... didn't have to go raid 0 in order to fix this problem and now it works ... partitions in an emergency, either when you run short or if the array ... physical drives to make up multiple raid arrays, if my swap partition ... I have 3 G of RAM and I rarely use any swap on disk, ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Partitioning scheme for file/mail server
    ... > If you're doing that, well, 500Mb is plenty. ... >> software RAID to perform the mirroring between partitions, then swap ... Alex Butcher Brainbench MVP for Internet Security: ...
    (uk.comp.os.linux)