Re: Error: Missing Dependency: xine-lib = 1.1.7 is needed by package xine-lib-extras-nonfree

On 17/06/07, David Boles wrote:
>>> We talk about "broken dependencies" as in "broken RPM package
>>> dependencies", not about bugs in the software.
>>>
>> Ok. Which of those broken dependencies listed in the report directly
>> affects you?
>>

> That doesn't matter at all. Just because the list contains packages,
> which you don't use, does not imply that no other users use any of
> these packages.

I don't see any of them complaining on this list as you have done. Have
you? Names please.

Eh? Are you confused about the history of this thread? Re-read it,
please. Where did I complain?

Users, who are burnt by broken deps regularly more often are pissed
off and try out alternative distributions, if they are not loyal and
patient enough to submit bug reports. Apart from that, fedora-list is
just one communication channel. There are message boards, blog
entries, enough place where to criticise broken updates.

Whether negative feedback is seen as complaints or as helpful input is
a matter of perspective. For those, who are involved in Fedora and
Livna package releases, such feedback leads to conclusions and
improvements.

>> Did you file a bug report about it?
>>

> Package maintainers receive the broken deps reports by private mail.
> That is sufficient, since very often packages only need a rebuild and
> no modifications. Using automated bugzilla ticket submissions would be
> a more aggressive form.

This is mainly volunteers that you are talking about here. People that
have families, real jobs, maybe like do a little fishing, watch a movie
once in while, and do the 'maintaining' in their free time. For free. Do
you really think that you can demand someone who is doing the work for
no money and who is going to provide the package(s) for nothing to jump
through hoops because you are upset that things don't happen with a snap
of your fingers? So why don't you do this yourself? be a maintainer I mean.

See http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/MichaelSchwendt for some of my
Fedora related activity.

  • Re: What does "supported" mean for Fedora Core 1 software?
    ... > reports and so far both have come ... First of all it means that your bug report was confirmed and some kind ... In second stage those packages are pushed to test ... Fedora GNU/Linux Core 1 on Athlon CPU kernel 2.4.22-1.2174.nptl ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Fedora Extras is extra
    ... BTW Some Red Hat packages used to have similar things ... > external contraints allow you to bend to work inside what fedora ... > but not their own infrastructure for distribution. ... Fedora Extras will have the same policy. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Sorbet on Fedoras future
    ... desktop environment be used by default on Fedora. ... base in the Linux world. ... Maemo and ChromeOS are niche market products and not germane to ... source packages, UNIX or Linux compatibility. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Still no joy with yum
    ... --> Populating transaction set with selected packages. ... sudo yum install mplayer # then we try again... ... what version of Fedora are you running? ...
    (Fedora)
  • [Full-disclosure] [FLSA-2006:186277] Updated sendmail packages fix security issues
    ... Fedora Legacy Update Advisory ... Updated sendmail packages that fix a security issue are now ... The sendmail package provides A widely used Mail Transport Agent. ... with the addition of the security patch supplied by Sendmail Inc. ...
    (Full-Disclosure)