Re: package-cleanup --problems

Joel Gomberg wrote:
Aaron Konstam wrote:
On Thu, 2007-06-21 at 17:37 -0600, Karl Larsen wrote:
Geeze I'm stupid. I tried yum package-cleanup --problems and got nothing but errors. Then I tried # package-cleanup --problems and it did that. It listed the problems I have outstanding. Now I can yum them and get going. Glad none are serious.

Karl

Do oyu mean : yum clean packages

No, I don't think he does. If you have yum-utils installed, try man
package-cleanup.

Yes let me try to be more clear. First you need to get the yum-utils installed. You do this in this way:

# yum install yum-utils

This gets the utils installed. I check it this way, in a root Terminal:

# package-cleanup

and you will get a response giving all the options available. If you get "no such file" then you don't have yum-utils installed.

Now, to check for problems use this:

# package-cleanup --problems

You will get a list of missing Dependant rpm files you can then get yum to install for you.

I hope this is clear and everyone can see what this does.

Karl

  • Re: Running kernel-smp and trying to remove kernel
    ... package-cleanup --oldkernels ... The cleanup bit above is only necessary because yum is configured to install ... new kernels alongside previous ones instead of upgrading, ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: YUM update dies with confict between poppler-utils andxpdf-utils
    ... install xpdf again and it will succeed on installation. ... I can find no way to avoid the conflict without going around yum. ... You might have results using some of the options to the rpm program directly, depending on what problems package-cleanup outputs. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: groupinstall XFCE
    ... I tried "yum groupinstall XFCE" and after downloading the group yum ... # yum install yum-utils ... Reading local RPM database ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: OpenOffice Writer
    ... $ man package-cleanup ... # yum remove suck ... I would suggest that you reinstall Writer: ... Tell us how you start your OO Writer when you get the error? ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Yet More Yum Woe
    ... `package-cleanup --orphans' to find old packages no longer resident in ... Setting up yum ... Loaded plugins: fastestmirror, fedorakmod, kernel-module, refresh- ...
    (Fedora)