Re: Microsoft closes another deal, is redhat next?

On Monday, June 25, 2007 4:13 pm Steven P. Ulrick wrote:

The thing that is really embarrassing about the above error message, and
the resultant inability to access this site with Firefox (on Linux,
anyway...) is that if I go to the same site using Konqueror 3.5.7, it
works perfectly. In my case Konqueror is set to identify
itself as:
"Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; Konqueror/3.5; Linux) KHTML/3.5.7
(like Gecko)"

I would be interested in seeing how/why this site seems to think that
that is superior to the latest Firefox....

IE identifies itself using the following pattern:

Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1...

So obviously what's going on here is the script is looking for the word
compatible (automatically assuming that everyone uses Internet Explorer).

Mozilla doesn't use the compatible syntax, so the script can't find
compatible; I assume the script then acts as if the browser HAS to be
Netscape Navigator, and gives the "You have to upgrade" message.

Old, old detection syntax.

I've even had one site (can't remember what it is right now) that the
only browser I could use under Linux to access that site was
Konqueror. The REALLY cool part about that site was that I had to set
Konqueror to NOT IDENTIFY ITSELF! So, if the site detected that
Konqueror identified itself as what it really was, or if I set it to
identify itself as some version of Internet Explorer, it would not
work. BUT, if I set Konqueror to not identify itself at all, the site
worked perfectly... I will leave it to all of you experts to interpret
that one...

I can't even guess at that one...

(I know a bit about how the browser identification works because I wrote a
script,
http://crystalsanctuary.rpgsource.net/dp_stuff/php/ustest/uitest.php , which
can detect specific browser/OS combinations for the purposes of stat
collection ).

  • Re: Internet Explorer Crash
    ... IE 7 is vulnerable to a script which causes the browser to hang. ... Safari and Konqueror to crash. ... Comment: Using GnuPG with SUSE - http://enigmail.mozdev.org ...
    (Bugtraq)
  • Re: Unicode in cgi-script with apache2
    ... If I run the script in the terminal, ... Is this a message appearing in the apache error log or in the browser? ... Is this the complete error message? ...
    (comp.lang.python)
  • Re: [Full-disclosure] Internet Explorer Crash
    ... This also works under Konqueror. ... There should be an implimentation on ALL browsers that a loop such large is ... IE 7 is vulnerable to a script which causes the browser to hang. ...
    (Full-Disclosure)
  • Re: CGI script parameter error.
    ... with Safari 5.0.2 and Konqueror 4.4.4 it does not. ... Here is the url of the script itself: ... work directly as the target for a web browser. ...
    (alt.html)
  • Re: CGI script parameter error.
    ... with Safari 5.0.2 and Konqueror 4.4.4 it does not. ... This CGI script is served in the form of a GIF image. ... image that is generated *is* received okay by the browser. ...
    (alt.html)