Re: Back Again

Sam Varshavchik wrote:
Nah, it's not closer. It's just that rpm is getting crappier every
year, and is long overdue for replacement.

I could easily be mistaken, but AFAIK, the main difference in speed
that end users notice between yum and apt is due to the fact that apt
caches it's metadata. In between runs of apt-get update, calls to
apt-get use the data on disk without hitting the network. With yum,
the update and upgrade steps from apt-get are both done in the update.

Using apt-get on a Debian-based system certainly seems faster (for as
often as I've used it). But I'm not at all sure that this has much,
if anything to do with rpm versus dpkg.

The rpm included in Fedora hasn't really changed much in the past few
years, so I'm not sure how it would be getting crappier[1]. Care to
elaborate?

[1] rpm is finally getting some love and updates in rawhide.

  • Re: rpm newbie
    ... No. Apt-get (like yum or up2date) is a tool that uses rpm for the ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: FC1 upgrade from rh8, but running 2.6.7 kernels
    ... rpm -qV apt ... And one needs 'apt-get update' before 'apt-get upgrade'. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Add/Remove/(K)Yum/Apt-Get -- Which is best?
    ... Would you recommend installing apt? ... Which is preferable: yum, Add/Remove or apt-get? ... If you want a GUI install yumex. ... I also installed yum because it was better [faster and more ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: FreeBSD Security Survey
    ... implementation, head-and-shoulders better than up2date, yum, rpm, ... apt-get, ... where they've added some cool support for automatic port ...
    (FreeBSD-Security)
  • Re: Linux Box as Base OS
    ... It's rpm based like Fedora, but uses Apt-get to do the updates, much better than Yum which Fedora uses. ...
    (borland.public.delphi.non-technical)