Re: f8: NetworkManager + runlevel 3 problem

On Sat, 2007-11-10 at 21:02 -0500, David Boles wrote:
John Summerfield wrote:
David Boles wrote:

Do you know of, can you name, another distro where "Wireless" does not
"sucks"? Just curious here because I thought that this a Linux, in
general, driver problem caused by proprietary drivers and not just the
fault of Fedora.

I know that Ubuntu went to considerable trouble to get Ubuntu working
well on laptops a two or three releases ago. I do not know the status of
wireless on Ubuntu, but I suspect it's been better in other respects
(power management, hibernation) on laptops for a while.

I know wireless on opensuse 10.2 sucks pretty badly, but I really can't
say whether other distros do it better or worse.

Not knowing, I crossed out Linux and substituted Fedora.

In this case, I'm assuming working drivers; I have Atheros-based cards
and I can get a working driver for them. Having done that, on Fedora,
wireless still sucks.

And my statement is an observation, not an attribution of blame.
Attributing blame just gets arguments, but anyone who extols the wonders
of Linux wireless networking to a Windows or OS X user deserves derision.

I was not trying to be 'nasty' John. I asked because I was/am curious.
My boss wants me to start using a laptop, I do not like laptops, never
have, but I was looking for some Linux information. The last laptop I
'had' my secretary nicknamed 'David's paperweight ;-) because that is
what I used it for mostly.

As near as I can tell - if you want problems use certain WiFi devices
and any Linux. Really want problems? Use something, anything, assembled
by Dell. I do not know why but those seem to be the start of most
problems and/or complaints that I have read.

I gather that the WiFi problem is lack of drivers? Which, as I read, is
a problem with Vista too. The manufacturers waited too long to provide
Microsoft with generic drivers or to write their own 'good'drivers.
Video drivers too. It seems that Linux drivers are few and far between.

As for Dell? I read it is poorly supported, inexpensive hardware, that
is their major problem. Again this I do *not* know. I have never owned,
or used, anything Dell. I only know what I have read and what I have
been told by others.

Your thoughts on any of this?
My DELL Latitude D810 works flawlessly wired and wireless. I own 4 Dells
and they all work except the 2000 Optiplex which worked until FC6 came
along. After that f7 and Ubuntu refused to recognise its audio card.