Re: fedora 8 boot up time

Well - have a look at this quite interesting page:

http://www.harald-hoyer.de/linux/f8t3boot

enjoy

Jo

Am Mittwoch, den 14.11.2007, 11:18 -0500 schrieb Tom Horsley:
On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 20:42:32 +0530
"Rohan Kulkarni" <rohan.sjce@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello,
I just installed fedora 8.I checked the boot up time.It came
to 92 seconds.I then removed some of the services and the boot up time
came down to 50 seconds.But still this is a long time.How can I
further reduce the boot up time?

Make a big deal about how awful the boot time is and say you are
switching to openSUSE 10.3? (The openSUSE folks actually did cut
the boot time down dramatically).

If enough people do this, maybe the Fedora guru's will decide to
show up openSUSE by making boots even faster on Fedora. :-).

On a more serious note, I get the distinct impression that an awful
lot of time wasting stuff is happening in the initrd script. It seems
to be spending a lot of time searching for LVMs or raids and wot-not
(I don't have any, but it has to wait for my external USB drive
to spin up to find that out :-).

New in Fedora 8 I now get a message on each boot about not finding
some selinuxfs filesystem (I don't have selinux enabled).

I have this feeling I could delete about half the stuff in the
initrd script and double the speed at which I boot, but I haven't
tried the experiment yet (and even if it worked, I'd have
to keep doing it over and over on each new kernel update).

--
Joachim Kunze
Alte Marktstrasse 16 eMail: joachim@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

  • Re: CentOS hangs on boot
    ... Regarding the Centos Boot issue. ... Knoppix is a very powerfull live boot cd. ... Will it support Fedora on the clients, ...
    (RedHat)
  • RE: fedora-list Digest, Vol 70, Issue 59
    ... Latest Kernel causes reboot hell ... Subject: Fedora on Macbook Air? ... Chad>When it comes to booting from a disk drive, I believe the Air only boot OS's ... someone decided to set up grub by default to hide its ...
    (Fedora)
  • help
    ... >> I realized that I did have a self boot disc and hunted it up. ... > the FC ISOs to the hard disk, and install from the hard disk. ... >> you could easily create your own fedora based live cd also. ... > That's the problem - you wrote the ISO image to cd as a single file. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Troubleshooting connection loss (continued)
    ... but is that first boot after winME was running? ... boot fedora and some time later connection goes down ... Why does reboot not have the problem you ask. ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • Re: in lieu of swapping out hard drives
    ... I got the Fedora 8 ISO ... Recieve screen asking which device to boot from ... Whether using an ExpressCard device with a eSATA port in a laptop/notebook ... his/her notebook's internal HDD containing the XP OS onto a SATA HDD ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)