Re: No sound with Fedora 8

Rohan Kulkarni napsal(a):
Hello,
I installed Fedora 8 on my Acer laptop recently.It installed properly but I am not getting any sound.
The system specs are:
Intel Core 2 Duo T5250 1.5Ghz
2GB DDR2 RAM
Intel 965 Chipset
mobile Intel Graphics media Accelerator X3100
160GB SATA Hitachi Hard Disk.
I used system-config-soundcard.It detected the sound card properly as 82801H HD audio controller and module as snd-hda-intel.The sound test here fails and then audio configuration hangs.
Also PulseAudio does not start.It gives an error "Connection Refused".
alsamixer gives an error as :
*** PULSEAUDIO: Unable to connect: Connection refused

alsamixer: function snd_ctl_open failed for default: Connection refused

Though the sound card has been detected there is no sound.What can be the problem?How can I solve it?

You have you own kernel or you have Fedora 8 original kernel? If you have your own kernel you have to add Access Control List support to kernel. I have same problem with FC8 kernel it works fine.

Here is the problem:
/usr/share/hal/fdi/policy/10osvendor/20-acl-management.fdi

<match key="info.capabilities" contains="alsa">
<append key="info.capabilities" type="strlist">access_control</append>
<merge key="access_control.file" type="copy_property">alsa.device_file</merge>
<merge key="access_control.type" type="string">sound</merge>
</match>

<!-- sound card (OSS) -->
<match key="info.capabilities" contains="oss">
<append key="info.capabilities" type="strlist">access_control</append>
<merge key="access_control.file" type="copy_property">oss.device_file</merge>