Re: No sound with Fedora 8

Rohan Kulkarni napsal(a):
Hello,
I installed Fedora 8 on my Acer laptop recently.It installed properly but I am not getting any sound.
The system specs are:
Intel Core 2 Duo T5250 1.5Ghz
2GB DDR2 RAM
Intel 965 Chipset
mobile Intel Graphics media Accelerator X3100
160GB SATA Hitachi Hard Disk.
I used system-config-soundcard.It detected the sound card properly as 82801H HD audio controller and module as snd-hda-intel.The sound test here fails and then audio configuration hangs.
Also PulseAudio does not start.It gives an error "Connection Refused".
alsamixer gives an error as :
*** PULSEAUDIO: Unable to connect: Connection refused

alsamixer: function snd_ctl_open failed for default: Connection refused

Though the sound card has been detected there is no sound.What can be the problem?How can I solve it?

You have you own kernel or you have Fedora 8 original kernel? If you have your own kernel you have to add Access Control List support to kernel. I have same problem with FC8 kernel it works fine.

Here is the problem:
/usr/share/hal/fdi/policy/10osvendor/20-acl-management.fdi

<match key="info.capabilities" contains="alsa">
<append key="info.capabilities" type="strlist">access_control</append>
<merge key="access_control.file" type="copy_property">alsa.device_file</merge>
<merge key="access_control.type" type="string">sound</merge>
</match>

<!-- sound card (OSS) -->
<match key="info.capabilities" contains="oss">
<append key="info.capabilities" type="strlist">access_control</append>
<merge key="access_control.file" type="copy_property">oss.device_file</merge>
<merge key="access_control.type" type="string">sound</merge>
</match>

  • Re: [Xen-devel] Xen patches merged to upstream Linux 2.6.36, plans for 2.6.37?
    ... I must apologize to have to say that Intel IGD VGA passthrough to my Windows XP Home Edition HVM domU did not succeed/work with Xen 4.0.1-rc6-pre hypervisor and Jeremy Fitzhardinge's pv-ops dom0 kernel 2.6.32.19 in my earlier email. ... I have just added a section to my /boot/grub/grub.conf to enable serial console for Xen 4.0.1-rc6-pre and pv-ops dom0 kernel 2.6.32.19 for kernel debugging/troubleshooting. ... title Fedora with Serial Console ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: sound
    ... The sound card works fine with fedora16 live, ... This is the lsmod of fedora live: ... The sound driver modules are provided as part of the kernel. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: [opensuse] Kmix, YaST and an explotion (SOLVED)
    ... I downgraded my kernel to 2.6.30-2.1 and all works again (my MB uses the Intel ... HDA sound driver module also). ... Seems there may be a problem with the Intel ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Fedora Core 4 Sucks!
    ... > I've been a Redhat then Fedora fan for years, ... I tried Fedora Core 2 and even there, my sound did not work. ... first drstribution I used that had a real 2;6 kernel in it. ... While CentOS 4.2 is a good distribution, it too uses a 2.6 kernel, so your ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Intel 915 Motherboard and sound
    ... How to make Intel 915 boards inbuild sound card work with Fedora? ... alsa and no need to recompile the kernel. ...
    (Fedora)