Re: Wild strange problems

Karl Larsen wrote, On 01/11/2008 08:17 AM:
Robert P. J. Day wrote:
On Thu, 10 Jan 2008, Karl Larsen wrote:

<snip>

i realize i'm going to regret this immediately but, karl, if you
plan on starting a brand new thread every time you want to post
something about nvidia, could you at least (as you have been
encouraged to do countless times) use a meaningful subject line?

we *have* had this conversation before but, sadly, the lesson seems
to have worn off.

rday
--

I have not and never will learn a lesson from you.

Karl

Will you try to learn a lesson from someone else then?

If you will, then the lesson I would like you to learn is that:
Placing the name, where name is output from /sbin/lspci, of the hardware that seems broken into the subject line, when you send a message to a mailing list may tend to direct people who know how to solve your problems to your messages.

The second possible lesson is:
Subjects that don't even list which sub system[1] you are having difficulty with tend to only irritate folks who might otherwise make an attempt at helping you.

[1] subsystems: audio, video, USB, hard drives, removable media, printing, networking.

BTW to your original email provided insufficient information, I suggest providing the following info may help:
0) a new subject line along the lines of "hard drives changing order of detection, WHY?"
1) how is hard drive 0 connected (PATA, SATA, SCSI, USB, FIRE WIRE)
2) how is hard drive 1 connected (PATA, SATA, SCSI, USB, FIRE WIRE)
3) can your machine be set to boot from USB, SCSI, FIRE WIRE?
4) can your bios be set to reorder the disk boot order?
5) how is your bios set to boot now?
6) what order is your bios set to now for the disk order?
7) full lspci output.

--
Todd Denniston

  • Re: Computer problem
    ... We live in a post-Stuxnet world - USB is definitely in the mix ... problem.....only hard drives, printers, cameras. ... external hard drive gets its power from the USB). ... Guessing it might be a driver issue I booted up in Safe Mode. ...
    (rec.audio.pro)
  • RE: Freecom external USB hard drive wont show up in Vista Explorer or
    ... External USB hard drive wont detect in Vista but works in WinXP FIX ... it is VISTA permissions and NTFS that are much stricter than XP ... I have two external USB hard drives from Freecom. ...
  • Re: Computer problem
    ... (This computer, as all my music computers have been, was custom built by ... We live in a post-Stuxnet world - USB is definitely in the mix ... hard drives, cameras, etc., are plugged into the 'onboard' USB ports ... external hard drive gets its power from the USB). ...
    (rec.audio.pro)
  • ~~~~~ HARD DRIVE ~~~~~
    ... hard drive players ipod pocket-size ... hard drive recovery group data laptop ... hard drive to usb adapter ...
    (comp.parallel.mpi)
  • Re: Questions re my new used xps-r 800
    ... Dell has very respectable documentation for the computer on its web site. ... USB 2.0 support for Windows 98 comes along with most of the decent USB cards. ... e) CD-RW technology has stabilized a great deal in the last couple of years. ... that would limit you to using the hard drives on only your own computer. ...
    (alt.sys.pc-clone.dell)