Re: onboard NIC: Attansic L2

On Mon, 2008-01-28 at 17:47 -0800, Dan Thurman wrote:
On Monday 28 January 2008 03:32:16 pm Rick Stevens wrote:
On Mon, 2008-01-28 at 15:01 -0800, Dan Thurman wrote:
On Monday 28 January 2008 01:54:16 pm Rick Stevens wrote:
On Mon, 2008-01-28 at 13:07 -0800, Dan Thurman wrote:
Folks,

Motherboard: P5GC-MX/1333, onboard Attansic L2 NIC chip

Earlier I reported a nightmarish experience trying to get my onboard
Attansic L2 NIC working after compiling the source code for it,
installing it, and so on and could not figure out why the NIC was not
turning on the phyiscal link.

I think I understand the symptoms but not the underlying cause.

I reported in my earlier post, that I blamed the twisted pair cable
but it turns out this was not the problem. The cabled is fine. I
had to go to my garbage can to retrieve the cable I almost threw out.

I can repeatedly prove (at least to myself), that under a multiboot
situation, if you boot using w2000/XP, M$ turns ON/OFF/ON the link
when coming up and when it is shutdown/rebooted, it disables the
link. It somehow turns the NIC OFF on reboot/shutdown.

When you bootup Fedora, Fedora goes along as it normally does, probes
eth0, but FAILS to turn ON the link. You CANNOT get Fedora to bring
up the link no matter what you do. The ONLY way to get the link back
is to physically power off the power supply because the motherboard
always get's it's power unless the PS itself is turned off and until
the power drains out.

Only then, you can bring up Fedora's OS and get the NIC link to work.

I wonder if M$ plugs microcode into the Attansic L2 chip that renders
Fedora unable to turn on the link OR the code is missing from the
Fedora networking process to turn ON the link.

Can someone in development look into this and let me know what is
going on?

At the moment, I have a temporary solution for now but I'd like to
make sure no other helpless chap faces this problem like I did for
weeks trying to figure this out.

Does "iwconfig wlan0 txpower on" turn on your card? Is there a
modprobe option you need? "modinfo name-of-driver" should show you
those. On my iwl4965, there's an option:
options iwl4965 disable=1
which would turn off the radio. By default it's on ("disable=0").
Perhaps yours is backwards?

Thanks for responding.

The following are the only published options available and none of them
sets the link on or off as far as I can tell. I will try options atl2
MediaType=0 and see if this helps. The NIC is not a wireless NIC so that
won't work for me.

Attansic L2 Options:
============
MediaType
Valid Range: 0-4
0 - auto-negotiate at all supported speeds
1 - only link at 100Mbps Full Duplex
2 - only link at 100Mbps Half Duplex
3 - only link at 10Mbps Full Duplex
4 - only link at 10Mbps Half Duplex
Default Value: 0
MediaType forces the line speed/duplex to the specified value in
megabits per second(Mbps). If this parameter is not specified or is
set to 0 and the link partner is set to auto-negotiate, the board will
auto-detect the correct speed.

IntModTimer
Valid Range: 50-65000
Default Value: 100
This value represents the minmum interval between interrupts
controller generated.

RxMemBlock
Valid Range: 16-512
Default Value: 64
This value is the number of receice memory block allocated by the
driver. Increasing this value allows the driver to buffer more incoming
packets. Each memory block is 1536 bytes.

NOTE: Depending on the available system resources, the request for a
higher number of receive descriptors may be denied. In this case,
use a lower number.

TxMemSize
Valid Range: 4-64
Default Value: 8
This value is the number KB of transmit memory allocated by the
driver. Increasing this value allows the driver to queue more transmits.

NOTE: Depending on the available system resources, the request for a
higher number of transmit descriptors may be denied. In this case,
use a lower number.

FlashVendor
Valid Range: 0-2
This value standards on vendor of spi flash used by the adapter.
0 for Atmel, 1 for SST, 2 for ST

Was that the output of "modinfo attansic" or something from the source?
Seems rather, uh, verbose for a modinfo listing.

No, the above list was taken from the man pages. Here is the modinfo:

+ modinfo atl2
filename: /lib/modules/2.6.23.14-107.fc8/kernel/drivers/net/atl2/atl2.ko
version: 1.0.40.2
license: GPL
author: Attansic Corporation, <xiong_huang@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
srcversion: D8048A65425274B2609FDD5
alias: pci:v00001969d00002048sv*sd*bc*sc*i*
depends:
vermagic: 2.6.23.14-107.fc8 SMP mod_unload 686 4KSTACKS
parm: TxMemSize:Bytes of Transmit Memory (array of int)
parm: RxMemBlock:Number of receive memory block (array of int)
parm: MediaType:MediaType Select (array of int)
parm: IntModTimer:Interrupt Moderator Timer (array of int)
parm: FlashVendor:SPI Flash Vendor (array of int)
parm: copybreak:Maximum size of packet that is copied to a new
buffer on receive (uint)

Ok, that's weird. Both of them indicate the same thing. The
"MediaType" option sure as heck doesn't sound like a wireless thing.
I've yet to see a wireless that can do 100Mbps. That's a 100Base-T
(wired) type of thing. I suspect this ain't the right driver for your
card (driver appears to be for a hard wired NIC, not a wireless).

  • Re: onboard NIC: Attansic L2
    ... When you bootup Fedora, Fedora goes along as it normally does, probes ... Valid Range: 50-65000 ... Increasing this value allows the driver to buffer more incoming ... Seems rather, uh, verbose for a modinfo listing. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: onboard NIC: Attansic L2
    ... When you bootup Fedora, Fedora goes along as it normally does, probes ... - only link at 100Mbps Full Duplex ... Valid Range: 50-65000 ... This value is the number of receice memory block allocated by the driver. ...
    (Fedora)
  • RE: fedora-list Digest, Vol 3, Issue 435
    ... Changing the JVM that Tomcat uses ... How to use NVIDIA Official driver on Fedora ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: fedora-list Digest, Vol 60, Issue 187
    ... I was trying to install Fedora ..But I couldn;t ...It is showing some driver ... Domino on Fedora ... I'm using Skype 2.0.0.72 and I have a Logitech QuickCam for Notebooks, ... I'm able to see other people doing video ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: onboard NIC: Attansic L2
    ... When you bootup Fedora, Fedora goes along as it normally does, probes ... physically power off the power supply because the motherboard always ... I wonder if M$ plugs microcode into the Attansic L2 chip that renders ... Valid Range: 50-65000 ...
    (Fedora)