Re: Good bye

John Summerfield wrote:
Neil Cherry wrote:
Karl Larsen wrote:
I did a temporary setup of Ubuntu and started playing with it. I signed up for their technical list and have talked with some very smart people.

The nice thing about Ubuntu is that you don't need to know a lot to
use it. The problem with Ubuntu is that nothing is in the 'standard'
places so you can fix things.

I don't understand that. I think "standard" needs some definition.

That 'standard' has been some trouble but an example is ifcfg-eth0.
Can't find it on Ubuntu. Using CPAN is quite a pain to do (I found
I was missing one small library, then I could install). I'm more of
a SYS-V guy having grown up with AT&T Unix. I like the Linux Standard
Base. I know there are differences between Debian based systems
and Red Hat based systems. I managed to (easily) get around the su
problem.

Generally, configuration files are approximately where package creators envisioned and work as they describe,

But those that follow the LSB make things easier for folks. The one
thing that makes things interesting still is whether to put things
in /opt or in /usr/local. I'm an old timer so I tend to put things
in /usr/local.

--
Linux Home Automation Neil Cherry ncherry@xxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.linuxha.com/ Main site

  • Re: Prob w/ virtual terminals
    ... prompt, though, so something isn't entirely right in the OP's ... it uses scripts in the /etc/event.d directory to ... The above changes that Ubuntu has made bother me. ... that standard part has some serious flaws. ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)
  • Re: C++ compiler errors - problems with developer Tools?
    ... which happily runs on Ubuntu. ... on compiling I get ... part of the standard gnu C library. ... that header defines type T ...
    (comp.sys.mac.programmer.help)
  • Re: Printing question - Cups ipp printer from Windows XP
    ... only test the Windows side via WinXPPro and Win2KPro. ... MP750 print server (it's an old laptop running Ubuntu) and the ... The standard OOo's are installed on both Windows and Ubuntu. ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: apple does it again, invisible aluminum
    ... Apple does things *differently* than Linux such as having different ... We disagree as to which OS, OS X or Ubuntu, has a more consistent UI. ... that standard Apple look compared to Classic and X11. ... standards, do not work with the de-facto standard file types as well, and, ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)
  • Re: apple does it again, invisible aluminum
    ... TLK's not the brightest light on the tree, but it's his fault, not ... Apple does things *differently* than Linux such as having different ... We disagree as to which OS, OS X or Ubuntu, has a more consistent UI. ... that standard Apple look compared to Classic and X11. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)