Re: Had to hack new-kernel script in mkinitrd to boot from USB after updating kernel

Paul Johnson wrote:
Dear Everybody:

I have a small fleet of external USB hard disks with Fedora and I have
the graduate students boot their windows machines from these external
drives in order to do some actual work (as opposed to playing
Minesweeper). It is no trouble to install these systems on external
USB since the improvements in F7 for that purpose, but when the kernel
is updated, the mkinitrd stuff does not end up getting all of the
right modules loaded. I have to insert the additional options
"--preload=ehci-hcd --preload=usb-storage --preload=sd_mod " In order
to make this work. See the patch below. After installing this
special new version of the program "new-kernel-pkg", then kernel
updates go smoothly.

Questions:

1. am I the only one in the world running Fedora from an external
drive these days? If not, why aren't the other guys commenting on
this?

2. I wish the new-kernel-pkg script would accept command line options
for additional required modules, and somehow the system would know the
modules it needs. I have a feeling that such a procedure is already
in place, but somehow it was broken when I built these USB drives.
Know what I mean?

pj

Paul,

Anything in /etc/modprobe.conf a certain way will be included.

Something like this:
alias scsi_hostadapter1 crap
alias scsi_hostadapter2 junk

Will get an error on the mkinitrd because it cannot find the modules crap and junk, so replacing crap and/or junk with what you want will work just fine. It will work out all modules that crap and junk depend on, so you won't have to put those modules in.

Roger

  • RE: Kernel 2.6.25 (F8/F9) problem
    ... I am seeing the same problem but on a Toshiba Satellite A305-S6825 laptop ... The problem may not be Fedora specific since I having ... usb 4-2: Manufacturer: Ups Manufacturing ... hub 6-2:1.0: USB hub found ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Syncing Palm device via USB Cable
    ... Les wrote: ... There is no group to add to fix this problem and it took changing the global security permissions to allow everyone full access to the ports to get it to work. ... This really should be addressed on future versions of Fedora so I don't have to re-fix this problem every time the system updates the security. ... It connects via a USB cable and I can even 4. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Modem, Mouse & sound
    ... Am very slowly getting to grips with the limitations of Suse 9.1 pro. ... Doesn't think I have anything else - like a USB ADSL ... Going into Fedora, it picks it up fine as Intel ... WHEEL doesn't work which is becoming very tiresome. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: usb plugins cause reboots
    ... I have Fedora 9 with the latest 2.6.25.14-108.fc9 kernel ... a usb memory stick into the upper USB port, ... The lower USB port doesn't seem to exhibit ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: list subject
    ... Adding [crap] to subjects just lengthens things, ... and some people who seem to be adding [fedora] to the subject ... private messages being made public, when they're not, they just *think* ... I read messages from the public lists. ...
    (Fedora)