Re: Realplayer 11 hijacked my nautilus icons

On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 7:24 AM, Tim <ignored_mailbox@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Tue, 2008-05-20 at 06:48 -0300, Paulo Cavalcanti wrote:
I realized that the following directories are full of real crap icons:

Do you mean that they're, now, not what they should be? Or that you
never liked them?

Yes, they are there, and I do not like them.

On my Fedora 7 box, the 192x192 sub-directory is empty. The other one
just has icons for Looking further up the directory
tree, I see ownership from a few different packages.

rpm -qf /usr/share/icons/hicolor/

Same as my F8.

You can try rpm -qf on the filepath that you want to find out where it
came from, then restore the original package to replace any lost icons.

That is the problem. They are new icons. When real created those symbolic
pointing to these new icons, they became "immune" to theme changes (the
themed icons are no longer used). These are just a few of them:

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root 15 2008-05-20 06:28
/usr/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/mimetypes/gnome-mime-audio-3gpp2.png ->
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root 24 2008-05-20 06:28
-> audio-3gpp-encrypted.png
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root 14 2008-05-20 06:28
/usr/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/mimetypes/gnome-mime-audio-3gpp.png ->
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root 14 2008-05-20 06:28
/usr/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/mimetypes/gnome-mime-audio-aiff.png ->
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root 23 2008-05-20 06:28
-> audio-amr-encrypted.png
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root 13 2008-05-20 06:28
/usr/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/mimetypes/gnome-mime-audio-amr.png ->

But if that's not it, the following might be the direction to take: I
went looking to see where my MP3 icons might come from, and discovered
the following:

locate mp3.png

I have the same. They belong to the several themes I have installed.

Perhaps you'll get your icons back just by picking a different theme.
Even if that means changing to another theme, then back to whichever
theme you want to use.

As I told you, changing themes have no longer any effect, because of those
symbolic links.
The problem is that even deleting the links, or just moving the whole
mimetypes directory
to another place, produces no change.

There must be some cache anywhere, I just do not know where...

Paulo Roma Cavalcanti
fedora-list mailing list
To unsubscribe:

Relevant Pages

  • Re: no icons on taskbar on window minimize
    ... icons is not shown there. ... i tried changing themes, restarting machine, no use, ... I removed all the .gnome files in the user directory. ...
  • no icons on taskbar on window minimize
    ... my taskbar applet is messed up and when i minimize some window, ... icons is not shown there. ... i tried changing themes, restarting machine, no use, ...
  • no icons in nautilus 2.6
    ... nautilus shows no icons. ... Menus are OK, but on the desktop I can only see ... Changing themes doesn't help, and neither does changing ...
  • 6280 Problem
    ... Anyone know if there is a recognised problem with changing themes on a 6280 ... icons on it) never changes from what I beleive is the one from the Nokia ...