Re: Problem in the boot of Windows XP with Grub

Daniel Gariani Rafael wrote:
Already now, I would like to apologize for my English, because I do not know very well and I am using the Google tool to translate my problem.

My problem is: I have 3 HDs Sata, in which 2 HDs of 160GB are for Windows XP with Raid 0, 3º of HD is 80GB in which installed Fedora (this being my first experience with it) the plant was normal There was no error, however, when restart the computer and select the option in Grub boot Windows XP, simply restart the computer, when I select Fedora, the boot normally carries.

*Below I am telling this as the menu of Grub and below the information given by fdisk-l*

# grub.conf generated by anaconda
#
# NOTICE: You do not have a /boot partition. This means that
# all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /, eg.
# root (hd0,1)
# kernel /boot/vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/sdc2
# initrd /boot/initrd-version.img
#boot=/dev/sdc
default=0
timeout=15
splashimage=(hd0,1)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz

#hiddenmenu
title Fedora (2.6.25.3-18.fc9.i686)
root (hd0,1)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.25.3-18.fc9.i686 ro root=UUID=710aebdc-3053-43d1-bf4b-edf395653a69 rhgb quiet
initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.25.3-18.fc9.i686.img

title Fedora (2.6.25-14.fc9.i686)
root (hd0,1)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.25-14.fc9.i686 ro root=UUID=710aebdc-3053-43d1-bf4b-edf395653a69 rhgb quiet
initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.25-14.fc9.i686.img

title WindowsXP
rootnoverify (hd1,0)
chainloader +1

<---------------------------[ SNIP ]-------------------->

If there is a need to send any further information will be updating the list as soon as possible.

I hope I have managed to explain my problem, I help you this because it really leaves me until dawn on the computer.

Thanks.

Did you change the boot order in the BIOS, or add another drive when you installed Fedora? It looks like XP was the first 2 drives as a RAID array, but your Grub config has it as the second BIOS drive, and FEdora as the first BIOS drive.

If you changed the BIOS boot order, reset it and make sure XP boots. If it does, we can tell you how to modify the Grub config so that XP sees the old BIOS configuration while still booting from the 3rd SATA drive. We just have to tell Grub to fake the BIOS drive order that XP expects.

Mikkel

  • RE: fedora-list Digest, Vol 70, Issue 59
    ... Latest Kernel causes reboot hell ... Subject: Fedora on Macbook Air? ... Chad>When it comes to booting from a disk drive, I believe the Air only boot OS's ... someone decided to set up grub by default to hide its ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: f8 boots!
    ... title Fedora single ... I can just boot in single mode and change it. ... by hand through the grub shell, to any grub entry, if needed. ... on the U.S. defense budget ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: grub/core6
    ... After things were installed with grub as my default boot manager I can't ... get into fedora 6 at all. ... even though the process said it was installing grub all over again, ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: GRUB boot floppy creation
    ... > I can't boot into Fedora linux, only win2k, on a dual boot system. ... > want to create a GRUB boot floppy. ... Boot into rescue mode from the Fedora CD. ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.general)
  • Re: GRUB boot floppy creation
    ... > I can't boot into Fedora linux, only win2k, on a dual boot system. ... > want to create a GRUB boot floppy. ... Boot into rescue mode from the Fedora CD. ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)