Re: Why!! does End Session default to Runlevel 3

On Saturday 31 May 2008 01:55:14 Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
On Fri, 2008-05-30 at 23:54 +0000, g wrote:
# Run xdm in runlevel 5
x:5:respawn:/etc/X11/prefdm -nodaemon

tells what you have for 'x-windows' manager.

Pedantry alert: prefdm configures the *desktop* manager (KDE, Gnome,
whatever), of which the X window manager is just a part (usually kwm or
metacity for KDE and Gnome respectively).

I don't know whether there's any relevance or not, but I tried to install
rawhide (pre-F9) onto a laptop with very low resources and a PCMCIA network
connection. I couldn't get the network connection to work - the drivers
would not install. On that system 'end session' always landed me at a text
login.

Installing from the same disks onto a more modern box, where everything was
recognised, didn't have the same problem.

Anne

  • [SLE] Re: SuSE 10.1 boxed version ZMD Problems and other questions
    ... Gnome would refuse to load from then on. ... Besides, I prefer KDE, and I couldn't ... The situation with the package manager is frustrating if I am going to ... get Debian packages now that I can use apt ?? ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Suse 10.3 and DVD::RIP
    ... you can insall KDE and Gnome both in entirety. ... I have to install 75 MB of stuff to run a 2 ... And what happens is there is a Suse way to attack the problem, ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: Greetings / Newbie questions
    ... I did a full install so don't think I am missing nay packages. ... I am having a bit of trouble deciding which to use: Gnome or KDE. ... > I have found that alot of things need to be done as root. ...
    (alt.os.linux.redhat)
  • Re: Evolution (again)
    ... As I said, I'm running kde, and there is no such thing in its control ... you do have Gnome installed then. ... Menus get polluted when you install multiple desktops, ... do usefull work in on my Kubuntu machine, and I don't see why fedora has to ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: SUSE Poll - Vote For Your Fav SUSE
    ... You don't need both KDE and Gnome. ... Various ways of installing SUSE ... removing the crap you don't need from the install then it takes time to ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)