Re: noacpi,acpi=off kernel options

On Thu, 2008-07-03 at 13:01 -0400, Mark Haney wrote:
It seems with the newer kernels these options no longer work, or there's
some syntactical change that is killing my kernels on boot. I have one
server here that just refuses to play nice with ACPI. It won't cut the
fan on/off and it fills up my log and eventually the HDD. So normally I
use something like this:

title Fedora (2.6.25.6-55.fc9.i686)
root (hd0,2)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.25.6-55.fc9.i686 ro
root=UUID=9f669bab-aff8-4855-aa5f-c683bf60744a noacpi,acpi=off
initrd /initrd-2.6.25.6-55.fc9.i686.img

In grub, but for some reason when I boot with this kernel it hang every
time until I remove the noacpi,acpi=off options.

So, what's the correct option(s) for shutting off acpi on boot now?

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support

Try it without the "noacpi," string. Just use "acpi=off".

-- Mark C. Allman, PMP
-- Allman Professional Consulting, Inc.
-- www.allmanpc.com, 617-947-4263

BusinessMsg -- the secure, managed, J2EE/AJAX Enterprise IM/IC solution