Re: Latest updates break graphic start of Fedora

2008/7/9 Antonio M <antonio.montagnani@xxxxxxxxx>:
2008/7/7 Antonio M <antonio.montagnani@xxxxxxxxx>:
2008/7/7 Mike Burger <mburger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

On Saturday 05 July 2008 16:06:32 Antonio M wrote:

So are you saying that you tried the existing alternative kernel, offered
in
grub, but that no longer worked? That would be very peculiar indeed.

OK - I've read your bug report. I don't believe that there is any way
that
installing a new kernel would break the existing ones. You almost
certainly
have something else going on. You may well have to wait to see whether
anyone else identifies the problem. FWIW, 2.6.25.9-76.fc9.i686 is one of
the
kernels you mention, and it certainly works on my Fedora box.

Anne:

Please see some of my contribution to this thread.

I'm having a similar issue to Antonio's...I've got a fully updated F9
install, and I noted that as of a couple of kernel releases ago, my
workstation, which boots to runlevel 5, does not actually appear to start
up the X desktop either. Instead, it switches to TTY7 with a blank screen
and blinking cursor.

What I need to do, to get around this, is ALT-F1, log in, init 3 and then
init 5 in order to get the system to actually bring up the X login screen.
--
Mike Burger
http://www.bubbanfriends.org

Visit the Dog Pound II BBS

or send a blank email message to:

site-update-subscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Mike,

have you read my final report saying that I have eventually solved the
problem??? It was a graphic driver from test-updates that was causing
the problem: now I have gone back to a fully F9 system and evrrything
is o.k. For my info, which graphic card do you use???

--
Antonio Montagnani
Skype : antoniomontag

Warning
and same driver has been pushed to the rawhide repo!!!! I will file a
bug against it!!!!

--
Antonio Montagnani
Skype : antoniomontag