Re: that old GNU/Linux argument

On Saturday 19 July 2008, Timothy Murphy wrote:
Carroll Grigsby wrote:
Back in the day when I was on dialup, I used
www.cheapbytes.com; their service was prompt and their quality was
excellent.

So did I, so did we all.
But that was a long time ago.
Surely now everyone is on broadband
with Terabyte disks that can hold 20 different OS's?

Just to repeat my original comment.
How can anyone write a 20-page document on Hurd
without ever saying, "Download a working version from here"?

Does anyone actually compile anything today?
Apart from developers, of course.

Yes we users sure do Timothy:
[root@coyote /]# uptime
20:40:56 up 5 days, 21:32, 25 users, load average: 0.06, 0.07, 0.05
[root@coyote /]# uname -a
Linux coyote.coyote.den 2.6.26 #1 PREEMPT Sun Jul 13 22:50:19 EDT 2008 i686
athlon i386 GNU/Linux

I'm also trying to get OpenMovieEditor built and installed, but it appears the
OpenGL and GLX being shipped from mesa through fedora has been emasculated.
According to the config.log of the failed configure of dmerlin, a dependency
OpenMovieEditor needs, at least 6 functions it expected to find have been
expunged from the libraries and headers.

I'd be very interested in hearing the reasons behind its being stripped like
that.

Its also interesting that I'm now posted 2 queries about it to this list, both
so far have been greeted by total silence. Its as if its not a fedora problem
if its not generated by a fedora blessed rpm.

The NIH syndrome in full bloom.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

  • Re: pulseaudio, howto make it work?
    ... Timothy Murphy wrote: ... to find what problems users might have. ... not think our complaints are 'silly'. ... but I think Fedora _does_ need to adopt a more newbie-friendly approach, ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: F7 Kernel 2.6.22.1-33.fc7 USB stick
    ... Timothy Murphy: ... A ball on top of my head is not. ... If one was comparing, say CentOS to Fedora using the testing repos, to ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: "panic: unable to mount root" etc. -- "mkinitrd errata"
    ... > Timothy Murphy wrote: ... >> I assume most people will install Fedora distribution kernels from rpm's. ... to have suggested something like "yum update mkinitrd", ... which is what I did on receiving Dave Jones' advice? ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Where is qt3 (for x86_64)?
    ... den 29.06.2005 schrieb Timothy Murphy um 0:17: ... > but it bombed out looking for libqt. ... > so I wondered why it does not seem to be on any of the Fedora sites, ... legal statement: http://www.uni-x.org/legal.html Fedora Core 2 GNU/Linux on Athlon with kernel 2.6.11-1.35_FC2smp ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: KAddressBook - still looking for the handbook
    ... Timothy Murphy wrote: ... I finally discovered the KAddressBook handbook at ... Should it in other words be viewable under Fedora? ... School of Mathematics, Trinity College, Dublin 2, Ireland ...
    (Fedora)