Re: Can't switch to KDE

On Thu, 2008-09-04 at 18:46 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
On Thu, 2008-09-04 at 15:47 -0500, Aaron Konstam wrote:
On Thu, 2008-09-04 at 14:22 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
On Thu, 2008-09-04 at 20:35 +0200, Timothy Murphy wrote:
Can't one just edit /etc/sysconfig/desktop ,
or doesn't that work any more?

It does work and has been mentioned here several times in the past. Note
that F9 doesn't seem to include the file by default so you have to
create it, and of course know what to put in it. For KDE:

#!/bin/sh
DESKTOP="KDE"
DISPLAYMANAGER="KDE"

poc

That does not work on my machine.

What does "not work" mean? What exactly happens? Have you restarted X
after makimg the above changes? It's not enough just to log out and in
again since you want to change the display manager (not just the window
manager). "init 3 && init 5" from a console should do the trick.
Not work means when I login I get GNOME not KDE.

What do you think of .Xclient-default?

You mean .Xclients-default? It just seems to execute startkde on my
system. That won't change the display manager either.
Actually running startkde does change the display manager. Which is how
switchsession is supposed to work. You just want to change the display
manager for thew one user not the whole machine. This is
why /etc/sysconfig/desktop is not a candidate for the job.

Silly question: you *have* installed KDE Desktop, right?

KDE is installed.

  • Re: Shutdown in one step?
    ... >combination of display manager (log-in manager, KDM, GDM) and Desktop ... >(KDE, Gnome, XFCE) ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Strange message at startup
    ... blank background and an error message from the display manager. ... Because he is using KDE as his desktop, he wants to use KDE for his ... It is partially covered up by the login block, ... I definitely don't want to run Gnome, ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Strange message at startup
    ... blank background and an error message from the display manager. ... Because he is using KDE as his desktop, he wants to use KDE for his ... The suggestion that the system is missing some "thyme" files is ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Strange message at startup
    ... blank background and an error message from the display manager. ... Because he is using KDE as his desktop, he wants to use KDE for his ... It is partially covered up by the login block, ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Cant switch to KDE
    ... It just seems to execute startkde on my ... That won't change the display manager either. ... you *have* installed KDE Desktop, ...
    (Fedora)