Re: Can't switch to KDE

On Fri, 2008-09-05 at 09:39 -0500, Aaron Konstam wrote:
On Thu, 2008-09-04 at 18:46 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
On Thu, 2008-09-04 at 15:47 -0500, Aaron Konstam wrote:
On Thu, 2008-09-04 at 14:22 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
On Thu, 2008-09-04 at 20:35 +0200, Timothy Murphy wrote:
Can't one just edit /etc/sysconfig/desktop ,
or doesn't that work any more?

It does work and has been mentioned here several times in the past. Note
that F9 doesn't seem to include the file by default so you have to
create it, and of course know what to put in it. For KDE:

#!/bin/sh
DESKTOP="KDE"
DISPLAYMANAGER="KDE"

poc

That does not work on my machine.

What does "not work" mean? What exactly happens? Have you restarted X
after makimg the above changes? It's not enough just to log out and in
again since you want to change the display manager (not just the window
manager). "init 3 && init 5" from a console should do the trick.
Not work means when I login I get GNOME not KDE.

What do you think of .Xclient-default?

You mean .Xclients-default? It just seems to execute startkde on my
system. That won't change the display manager either.
Actually running startkde does change the display manager.

According to
http://docs.kde.org/stable/en/kdebase-runtime/userguide/kde-startup-sequence.html :

"The KDE startup sequence starts with the startkde script. In
most cases this script gets called from the display manager
(kdm) once the user has been authenticated."

Which is how
switchsession is supposed to work. You just want to change the display
manager for thew one user not the whole machine.

I think you're confused about what the display manager does. Note that
you can also run KDE under gdm, the Gnome Display Manager.

This is
why /etc/sysconfig/desktop is not a candidate for the job.

So how come it works for me and apparently many other people?

poc

  • Re: Shutdown in one step?
    ... >combination of display manager (log-in manager, KDM, GDM) and Desktop ... >(KDE, Gnome, XFCE) ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Cant switch to KDE
    ... Not work means when I login I get GNOME not KDE. ... That won't change the display manager either. ... Actually running startkde does change the display manager. ... "Actually running startkde does change the window manager ... ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Strange message at startup
    ... blank background and an error message from the display manager. ... Because he is using KDE as his desktop, he wants to use KDE for his ... It is partially covered up by the login block, ... I definitely don't want to run Gnome, ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Cant switch to KDE
    ... Not work means when I login I get GNOME not KDE. ... It just seems to execute startkde on my ... That won't change the display manager either. ... you *have* installed KDE Desktop, ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Strange message at startup
    ... blank background and an error message from the display manager. ... Because he is using KDE as his desktop, he wants to use KDE for his ... The suggestion that the system is missing some "thyme" files is ...
    (Fedora)