Re: OT - How to test procmail on existing mailbox

Andrew Robinson wrote:
I want to use fetchmail and procmail to download and sort my email.
I am in the initial testing phase. I've downloaded a bunch of mail
to my system mailbox with fetchmail. I have written some recipes for
procmail. Can I get procmail to run against the mail already
downloaded in /var/spool/mail/andrew? If so, how?

Something like 'formail -s procmail < /path/to/mailbox' is close to
what you are looking for.

I was going to post something similar...having seen this has already been
posted, though, I thought I'd make one suggestion:

Instead of running it in the method noted above, I usually run:

cp /path/to/mailbox ~ (copy my mailbox to my homedir)
cat /dev/null > /path/to/mailbox (clear out the contents of my main inbox)
formail -s procmail < ~/mailbox (process the copy)
rm ~/mailbox (once satisfied with the results)

The reasoning behind this is that, if you use the originally posted
method, anything that would normally wind up in your inbox, and not be
filtered into other folders, would wind up being duplicated in your inbox.

By copying off the main inbox spool file (usually /var/spool/username) to
another location, clearing out the main inbox spool file, and then running
it through procmail, you only get, in your inbox, what you want in your
inbox, and the rest gets filtered via procmail.
--
Mike Burger
http://www.bubbanfriends.org

Visit the Dog Pound II BBS

or send a blank email message to:

site-update-subscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

  • [SLE] IMAP directories
    ... Courier-IMAP per se, but a combination of software products not all ... before you tell me to stop using procmail and start using ... I have things like Inbox versus inbox and Sent versus sent-email. ... have a folder representation of Inbox, Inbox.Sent, Inbox.Trash. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Procmail losing mail?
    ... What you are telling procmail to do, is to execute formail in such a way ... all to dump the mail into a file called "inbox" in your home directory, ... $MAILDIR, not $HOME, and they work fine. ... from $MAILDIR to /var/spool/mail on both $USER and postmaster, ...
    (comp.mail.misc)
  • Re: Sequence of events with mail
    ... The machine has Postfix, Fetchmail, Qpopper, Procmail and ... |Fetchmail is run by 'mailman'. ... Fetchmail hands it to postfix who then delivers it to ... This is conventionally called INBOX. ...
    (alt.os.linux)
  • Re: How to apply procmail to a maildir Mail/inbox?
    ... My main inbox has a bunch of mails that really belong in other mail directories. ... and now want to reapply the procmail to the contents of ~/Mail/inbox. ... Here the mail I am working on already lives in Mail/inbox. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: OT - How to test procmail on existing mailbox
    ... to my system mailbox with fetchmail. ... I have written some recipes for ... Can I get procmail to run against the mail already ...
    (Fedora)