Re: desperately seeking "IgnoreEDID"

On Sun, Sep 21, 2008 at 4:20 PM, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sun, 21 Sep 2008, Arthur Pemberton wrote:

Since who ever it was made the change to using EDID, I have never had
X work the way I want it to again.
1. It always chooses the wrong resolution for me, this is on at least
5 installs on different machines
2. Even after you convince it to use the resolution I want, I must
have my monitor on, again happens on all machines since this change
was made

I much rather type in a modeline once and have it work, and not have
to worry about whether or not my monitor was on on boot.

And to the original poster, sorry to chime in late, but IgnoreEDID is
ironically ignored every time I have attempted it.

also ironically, the IgnoreEDID option *clearly* makes a difference as
you can see in the X log file, but it's just as clearly still being
processed somehow, and making a mess of things. i had no idea what
kind of bad craziness i was getting into with what i thought was a
fairly simple problem.

rday

I spent several more hours than I suspect you having trying to get a
Flatscreen tv (which was really just a cheap, but large LCD monitor)
to work with Xorg. Xorg simply wouldn't accept the resolutions I was
trying, most due to the fact that the resolutions I wasn't telling it
to use didn't agree with what it thought it was getting via EDID. I
finally got something close (after buying a brand new video card
hoping it would better than the onboard one) and just settled for
that.

--
Fedora 9 : sulphur is good for the skin
( www.pembo13.com )