Re: desperately seeking "IgnoreEDID"

On Sun, Sep 21, 2008 at 4:20 PM, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sun, 21 Sep 2008, Arthur Pemberton wrote:

Since who ever it was made the change to using EDID, I have never had
X work the way I want it to again.
1. It always chooses the wrong resolution for me, this is on at least
5 installs on different machines
2. Even after you convince it to use the resolution I want, I must
have my monitor on, again happens on all machines since this change
was made

I much rather type in a modeline once and have it work, and not have
to worry about whether or not my monitor was on on boot.

And to the original poster, sorry to chime in late, but IgnoreEDID is
ironically ignored every time I have attempted it.

also ironically, the IgnoreEDID option *clearly* makes a difference as
you can see in the X log file, but it's just as clearly still being
processed somehow, and making a mess of things. i had no idea what
kind of bad craziness i was getting into with what i thought was a
fairly simple problem.

rday

I spent several more hours than I suspect you having trying to get a
Flatscreen tv (which was really just a cheap, but large LCD monitor)
to work with Xorg. Xorg simply wouldn't accept the resolutions I was
trying, most due to the fact that the resolutions I wasn't telling it
to use didn't agree with what it thought it was getting via EDID. I
finally got something close (after buying a brand new video card
hoping it would better than the onboard one) and just settled for
that.

--
Fedora 9 : sulphur is good for the skin
( www.pembo13.com )

  • Re: Increase maximum resolution shown by XP
    ... I want to hook up to a 22" external monitor with 1680x1050 native resolution. ... I don't believe there is an updated Intel driver which increases the resolution beyond 1280x1024. ... "Specifically, Intel graphics drivers support: ... Display modes reported by the monitor’s EDID (Extended Display Information ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)
  • Re: What determines monitor resolution?
    ... I use a 19" LED monitor and have set to run at 1024x768 resolution in Windows desktop properties. ... I am using a NVDIA Geforce4 MX 4000 PCI Video Card. ... The DVI digital connection, offers the ability to keep the signal perfect, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: MCE gets blurry when doing schoolwork on other monitor
    ... Nvidia software automatically configured the resolution it put the tv at the ... The nvidia wizard sets up the primary monitor, ... reconfigure my video card and everything is working great now. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter)
  • Re: New monitor not able to..
    ... monitor, and enjoying the great pics of HD. ... LEDTV2235 with 1920 x 1080 Resolution. ... Some PC inputs on LCD TVs, ... should be able to read the EDID chip, ...
    (rec.video.desktop)
  • Re: Screen resolution
    ... |It's equipped with Xorg 7.2, but I can't find any xorg.conf file to edit. ... autoconfiguration, exit to a command line login, ... resolution dropped from 1024x768 to 640x480. ... VendorName "Monitor Vendor" ...
    (comp.unix.solaris)