Re: spec file for rpms

Tony Placilla <aplacilla@xxxxxxx>
Sr. UNIX Systems Administrator
The Sheridan Libraries
Johns Hopkins University

On Mon, Sep 22, 2008 at 2:03 PM, in message
<200809221403.50389.john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, John Aldrich
<john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
On Monday 22 September 2008, David Hláčik wrote:
Hi guys,

i am new at this.

I want to make a rpm from a program source. It does not contain rpm
spec
file by default so i need to create one.

Is there any way to make creation of spec files easier? some tools
etc ...
?

David, I know it's not going to be much help, but there *are* tools
to take
tarball and create an RPM from that. It's very much specific to your

machine,
so it wouldn't help to make it work on another machine, but for the
purposes

of keeping your installs clean, etc, it's very useful. Unfortunately
for
you,
it's been so long since I've done anything, I've long since forgotten
what
those utils are, so you'll have to hope someone out there has a
better
memory
than I! :-)

One fairly good one is CheckInstall

it's available from Dag's repo or
http://www.asic-linux.com.mx/~izto/checkinstall/

yum info checkinstall

Available Packages
Name : checkinstall
Arch : i386
Version: 1.6.0
Release: 3.el5.rf
Size : 82 k
Repo : rpmforge
CheckInstall keeps track of all the files created or modified by your
installation script ("make install" "make install_modules", "setup",
etc), builds a standard binary package and installs it in your system
giving you the ability to uninstall it with your distribution's
standard package management utilities.