Re: Make a DHCP server using Fedora - Help

--- On Sat, 11/15/08, Craig White <craigwhite@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

From: Craig White <craigwhite@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Make a DHCP server using Fedora - Help
To: olivares14031@xxxxxxxxx, "Community assistance, encouragement, and advice for using Fedora." <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Saturday, November 15, 2008, 6:43 PM
On Sat, 2008-11-15 at 11:26 -0800, Antonio Olivares wrote:
--- On Sat, 11/15/08, Craig White
<craigwhite@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

default-lease-time 600;
max-lease-time 7200;
ddns-update-style none;

log-facility local7;

subnet netmask {
option domain-name-servers
option domain-name
option broadcast-address;
option subnet-mask;
option routers ; # just a guess
ddns-updates off;

DHCPDARGS=eth0 # recommended

# other things to note...default and max
lease times
are really short. Many more options can be added
such as
WINS, NTP servers, etc.

Webmin ( makes a lot
of this
very trivial
given your other e-mail that came after I sent
this which
included this

eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr
inet addr:

the class C subnet means that my broadcast
address and
subnet masks
should match these above.

Thank you Craig for your input, I will change this on
Monday and test it out.

subnet netmask {

should be changed to
==> subnet netmask {

option domain-name-servers $DNS_SERVER_IP_ADDRESS_1,
option domain-name "$YOUR_DOMAIN_NAME";

option broadcast-address; to
option broadcast-address;

should it I leave them as is or do I put the ones that are
on the host machine? or will it pick them up automagically?

Do I need to have bind running as well?

Sorry to ask too many questions. Last time I was
trying this, I tried webmin, but I got confused with
iptables and other little things. Will the iptables part
that I put in suffice also.

Thank you for your time and advice. When I get back
to work on Monday, I will try these suggestions and post
back if I succeed or still have questions.
Tim gave some good advice and I was really pressed for time
and wanted
to reply because you weren't getting good answers.

No - you don't need bind to run unless you want to
provide DNS services.

You really need to understand networking basics...i.e.
TCP/IP. One you
understand network address, broadcast address, subnet mask
stuff, DHCP
is pretty easy. If you don't understand that stuff, you
really don't
want to run a DHCP or BIND server and would be better off
buying a
router type of appliance that will do that for you.

I might go to work and try it out. I will change the numbers and also add more time in the leases. I have been given great advice by several helpful people, notably yourself, Tim and Marko (also Paul H. for selinux denying dhpcd). I have to make the changes in the /etc/dhcpd.conf file and try it out. I will test with a Windows 2000 machine and a Fedora rawhide box and upon success or failure. I will report back.

Thank you all for your help and guidance.

fedora-list mailing list
To unsubscribe: