Re: X locks up after a random time

On Saturday 03 January 2009 02:07, Paulo Cavalcanti wrote:
On Fri, Jan 2, 2009 at 10:36 PM, Marko Vojinovic <vvmarko@xxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:
Ok, this is a Fujitsu Siemens Esprimo U9200, with Intel graphics, F10
64bit,
updated last week. KDE desktop, compiz and all, but I believe it is not
related.

The symptom: system boots up regularly, I do regular work, and after a
random
amount of time, X freezes. If compiz is on, all I can do is move the
mouse pointer. If compiz is off, even the mouse pointer is frozen. The OS
itself is
not, I can ssh from a remote machine and read logs. This is not
reproducible,
it happens too randomly and I can only sit and wait for it to happen.
However, it is extremely annoying, since it has a tendency to freeze when
I'm
in the middle of some work in progress.

You can try using

Option "AccelMethod" "XAA"

in your xorg.conf to see if there is any difference (I have never tried).

What was the command to generate xorg.conf? I saw it here in some post some
time ago, but can't find it now...

Also, in which Section of xorg.conf shoud I put the above option?

Thanks for helping! :-)
Marko

  • Re: major problem after enabling desktop effects (F9)...
    ... After I logged in it started to boot with the splash screen and after ... black background. ... mouse pointer and a black screen after I log in. ... If you never want effects again, you could try uninstalling compiz. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Sid + nVidia + Compiz == no good?
    ... I've been trying to get Compiz to run on my Debian Sid system. ... from the command line metacity's decorations disappear but nothing comes ... in their place and the windows are left without frames/title bars. ... though the mouse pointer is still visible. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Ubuntu 10.04.1 LTS released
    ... If so, in ccsm under the, "Rotate Desktop ... (...and Edge Flip Move if you want to drag windows to ... but compiz stresses some of the 3D stuff I do. ... mouse pointer across the desktop to the edge and then pop into the ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Fedora 7 freezes two or three times per day
    ... > mouse freezes as well. ... and we switch to user2, his screen and the entire computer freezes, ... "noirqbalance" in the kernel parameters, removed compiz. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Fedora 7 freezes two or three times per day
    ... mouse freezes as well. ... and we switch to user2, his screen and the entire computer freezes, ... the problem could have been a bug with the user-switcher or gdm ?? ... I do not use compiz as user1, ...
    (Fedora)