Re: gdmsetup not present in Fc9 or Fc10

Em Dom 04 Jan 2009, Aaron Konstam escreveu:
On Sun, 2009-01-04 at 10:25 -0600, Gregory P. Ennis wrote:
On Sun, 2009-01-04 at 13:05 -0300, Marcelo Magno T. Sales wrote:
Em Dom 04 Jan 2009, Gregory P. Ennis escreveu:
On Sun, 2009-01-04 at 00:22 +0100, Kevin Kofler wrote:
Gregory P. Ennis wrote:
Thanks for the link !!!! Looks like gdmsetup is gone and
what we could do with the login screen using Fc5 through
Fc8 is gone too. Too bad it was a good option!!!

Well, you could use KDM if you want something more
configurable.

:-)

Kevin Kofler

Kevin,

That is a very good idea. I have been wanting to play with
kde4. Can you give me a starting place to switch the login
screen to kdm? I have kde4 installed but have never activated a
kde interface.

Create a /etc/sysconfig/desktop file with the following:
DESKTOP="KDE"
DISPLAYMANAGER="KDE"

and reboot. Or uninstall gdm. Only the last line is needed to use
kdm, the first one sets up KDE as the default GUI.

I have those lines in that file and my default gui is GNOME. So what
you are saying is not true.

It IS true. Of course, you can still set up the default desktop for YOUR
USER as Gnome or any other GUI you like if you have it installed.
Log in as a user who does not have such settings (a new user, for
example) and you will see KDE will be loaded, unless he explicitly
selects Gnome before he logs in. KDE will be the system default.
On the other hand, if you don't add that line (in Fedora), new users
will automatically log in to Gnome, even if the display manager is kdm.
Maybe you should be more careful with what you say, or at least with how
you say it. Of course, I can make mistakes like anyone else, but you
seem to imply I'm deliberately lying.

[]'s
Marcelo