Re: RAM question for everyone!

On Fri, 2009-01-23 at 10:24 -0600, Michael Cronenworth wrote:
-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: RAM question for everyone!
From: Alan Evans <ame.fedora@xxxxxxxxx>
To: Community assistance, encouragement, and advice for using Fedora.
<fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 01/23/2009 10:19 AM

This question, along with other recent discussion about swap, leads me
to ask a question in response: Why is everyone so concerned about how
to get away without swap?

Hard drives are cheap. Why does your server with potentially 10GB
(!!!) of RAM have a hard drive so small that you can't sacrifice a few
GB for swap?

I'm really curious.

SATA Hard drive speeds - 70 megs to 150 megs a second unless you're RAIDing
DDR2 RAM speeds - 6000 megs a second and up.

If performance is a key issue, which I'm sure it is, you don't want swap.

In which case the real question is not "how much swap do I need?" but
"how much RAM do I need to avoid swapping?".

poc

  • Tuning kern.maxswzone is minor compared to hangs in "kmem a" state
    ... kern.maxswzone is indeed approximately 8x available RAM. ... really big swap space for benefit of tmpfs. ... patch swap_pager to unconditionally use maxswzone tunable if it is ... the warning message is incorrect. ...
    (freebsd-stable)
  • Re: RAM question for everyone!
    ... SATA Hard drive speeds - 70 megs to 150 megs a second unless you're RAIDing ... DDR2 RAM speeds - 6000 megs a second and up. ... If performance is a key issue, which I'm sure it is, you don't want swap. ... "trust me" and blindly extend credit. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: excessive swap-in time
    ... Trying to do it all with RAM is just inefficient. ... I find that does not work well when the swapping is caused by excessive I/O ... Or you could have 5 TB of swap space. ...
    (comp.os.linux.development.system)
  • Tuning kern.maxswzone
    ... RAM, so I figured a low memory problem was wedging something, and the ... insurance and a heavily loaded sever might have 4x as much swap as RAM. ... messages at boot that state "warning: ...
    (freebsd-stable)
  • SLUB 0:1 SLAB (OOM during massive parallel kernel builds)
    ... 2G of RAM, 1G of swap partition. ... DMA per-cpu: ... kill process 25286 score 188662 or a child ...
    (Linux-Kernel)