Why is uid/gid 350 bad? [WAS: Re: f10 gdm user hide]

Hi Folks

I've just set up a user account for our scanner - no the scanner will
never login at GDM (will ftp in). So, after much gnashing of teeth,
I've given it a uid/gid of 350 so that it doesn't show up in the GDM
login (it seem the only way to hid a user account is to give it a
uid/gid below 500). How long before this rash move turns my machine
into a smoking pile of ash?

Thanks all,
Morgan.