Re: WHY I WANT TO STOP USING FEDORA!!!

Mike Chalmers wrote:
As I said above I am sorry for the initial RANT. Thank you to all for
your patience and help.

I have been looking into ARCH, which someone, mentioned above, and I
think their philosophy towards Linux is, quite good, a rolling
release. It is harder to work with initially seeing as it does not
have a graphical install process. It is a minimal installation, which
I like, and you install only what you want after the minimal
installation. It also releases the latest packages usually in 1 day or
2. Didn't know that there was a distro like ARCH.

For the question above, I do like to stay up to date, and the GUI
matters a pretty good bit to me. I love the changes that KDE made,
with their GUI, when they went to 4 and now to 4.2!

I have to throw my 2 cents worth in. I have to agree that doing a full
upgrade every 6-8 months gets tiresome when you have a dozen or so
machines running it. However, preupgrade does seem to help that a lot
and it's getting better with oddball setups like some I have.

That said, rolling updates are the way to go. No need for continual
upgrades to 'releases' just update to the latest version of a package
and be done with it. I'm just not sure a 'major release' design is the
way to go any longer. With internet access the way it is, why not just
do rolling updates?

Personally this is why I use gentoo more and more. No need to download
an ISO or anything of the sort, just switch to a new profile, update the
needed packages and you are at the latest 'release'. Then, update
packages as they are released as stable. (or as ~arch in the gentoo world).

Nothing else makes as much sense to me in the open source world that
isn't a 'paid' or 'enterprise' edition.

quadraturae circuli

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support

  • End of Saga WHY I WANT TO STOP USING FEDORA!!!
    ... Be happy with your eventual choice. ... and you install only what you want after the minimal ... rolling updates are the way to go.  ... needed packages and you are at the latest 'release'.  ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: replace busybox wget with wget
    ... arch and install it with", I unable to get about arch packages. ... I see also your target sys is connected to the internet and a therfore has a IP adress, ...
    (comp.os.linux.embedded)
  • Re: i386/x86_64 rpms on x86_64
    ... > Is there a good resource to read which will explain how rpm handles ... > It is unclear how one should install the missing i386 built packages. ... Generally you should only install one arch of any particular ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Complete Linux Recording Package Ready To Roll.
    ... How to install Rehmudi-2.0 ... if you don't have any sound, ... dependencies of Agnula Packages ... ... from the new kernel. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • FS: Complete Linux Recording Package Ready To Roll.