Re: Feature Proposal: Rolling Updates (was Re: WHY I WANT TO STOP USING FEDORA!!!)

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: Feature Proposal: Rolling Updates (was Re: WHY I WANT TO STOP USING FEDORA!!!)
From: Mark Haney <mhaney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Community assistance, encouragement, and advice for using Fedora. <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 02/10/2009 04:10 PM

Sorry, I hate to break it to you, Gentoo's versions are just as up to
date and bleeding edge as Fedora's. I'm running KDE 4.2. The .28
kernel, etc, etc. So that argument fails in my opinion.

I do believe that Fedora has a QA staff as well. So, I don't see your
point here. I'd dare say my gentoo system is as 'bleeding edge' as most
fedora boxes. QA is QA. Bug reports are bug reports.

You didn't get what I said. I realize that Gentoo provides all the same latest and greatest stuff Fedora does, however, they mask most of the bleeding-edge stuff that Fedora has already.

I suppose PackageKit could have a similar flag option... "stable," "bleeding-edge," and "rawhide." ;)

  • Re: ESR: Goodbye Fedora
    ... Secondly, the version upgrade is messy, I've never ever yet upgraded from one version of RH or Fedora without conflicts, FC4 was a comple explosion, I gave up and reinstalled previous and ignored FC4. ... Yet I can do this with even slackware and have been able to for years, ... is by design "bleeding edge" or is that "bleeding edge of blunders", and if we dont fix it soon, the likes of debian and suse will overtake us by a long mile. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: F9 - Unmitigated disaster
    ... You should try CentOS - also based ... but it avoids the bleeding edge stuff that is plaguing you ... more then 8 years of Linux experience. ... Who is Fedora meant for? ...
    (linux.redhat)
  • Re: CentOS and wireless, oh my
    ... Well, only a suggestion. ... ...Reiterating there are Debian, Ubuntu, or even Fedora 11 ... distributions provide better support. ... Why should I need bleeding edge? ...
    (RedHat)
  • Re: Fedora - time to blink
    ... I thought Red Hat was releasing a tested and supported system...and ... Fedora was just a test bed for the latest software and was only for those ... willing/desiring to take the chance/risk...and deal with bleeding edge ... Fedora (at least as a KDE user...).... ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: CentOS and wireless, oh my
    ... on RHEL 2.6.18-164.el5 with gdm 2.16.0. ... ...Reiterating there are Debian, Ubuntu, or even Fedora 11 ... distributions provide better support. ... Why should I need bleeding edge? ...
    (RedHat)