Re: serious virtualization without HW support?

Robert P. J. Day wrote:
i'm reading the section on CPU virtualization extensions here:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Virtualization_Quick_Start

and it occurs to me to ask whether anyone would want to get
*seriously* into virtualization without having machines with those
extensions.

is it safe to say that, by now, most modern systems come with VT or
AMD-V support? and by "serious" virtualization, i don't mean someone
downloading and goofing around with it, i mean people who want to set
up virtual corporate servers or mission-critical stuff.

thoughts?

For running Linux machines, there's nothing wrong with using xen, and it probably runs faster than hardware virtualization. For non-Linux I would pass on emulation.

There's nothing wrong with it, I know a few web hosting operations which still use xen. If Fedora supported xen I would probably use it on some available hardware, I just don't feel like going back to the days of building and updating my own kernels all the time.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>

  • Re: Whats the big deal with cross-platform?
    ... Virtualization may be the key. ... For Windows the HAL might be the base, upon which either a NT or a .NET kernel can be implemented. ... In a few years we may have something like an extended BIOS, which provides *all* low level services for running *all* kinds of systems on any physical machine. ... As soon as multiple systems can be installed concurrently on a machine, there is no more way to bind these machines, users etc. to Windows, as the primary system. ...
    (borland.public.delphi.non-technical)
  • Re: [Full-Disclosure] Imaging Operating Systems
    ... The most common approaches to this are the use of virtual machines ... the activation system and thus avoid these kinds of problems (at least, ... Of course, virtualization has a performance penalty, so unless you have ... image backup (even over the network. ...
    (Full-Disclosure)
  • Re: Adding a first 2008 R2 64 bit DC into 2003 R2 Domain
    ... some other thoughts about DC on Virtual Machines: ... The images or snapshots problems occur in replication situations, ... party company is doing the virtualization and installation of 2008. ... But with Windows server 2003 R2 as DC ...
  • Re: Merge Xen (the hypervisor) into Linux
    ... virtualization limp along. ... Dropping PVM is, to me, pretty much saying "let's merge Xen ... I have only two large machines I control. ... why does Linux have code for x86_32? ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: new laptop... virtualizating the installed vista
    ... Normally when I get new machines I keep windows in about as ... Everyone seems to be keen on virtualization these days, ... That depends on whether Dell are supplying a "recoveryCD" or a full ... You can clone the hard disk install into vmware ...
    (uk.comp.os.linux)