Fedora 10, kickstart install (booted netinst image CD) - cannot eject CD during install

Hello:

Let me start with some background to the problem. I'm performing kickstart installations by booting the system with a CD made from the F10 netinst ISO. My installation RPMs are stored on an NFS server. I've got the updates repository being served up by an HTTP server.

Now for the problem... With previous versions of Fedora (and other Red Hat-related distros, like CentOS), I was able to push the eject button on the CD drive DURING THE INSTALLATION and get my boot CD out of the machine. This was handy because I could start the installation, get my CD back and walk away from the machine. Now, with Fedora 10, I am unable to get my CD out of the drive during the installation. It is a minor hassle to have to come back later to retrieve my CD. Plus, if I want to kickstart install multiple machines at once, I have to have many copies of the boot CD.

Setting up a PXE boot scenario is not a good solution because I do not have control over the campus' DHCP service.

Does anyone know how to eject a boot CD during a kickstart install? Thanks in advance for your help.

--
Peter Schwenk
Campus IT Associate 3

  • Re: Fedora 4 on Dell Optiplex GX270 Graphics Hangs after update;
    ... > integrated graphics, Cmedia CMi8738 sound card. ... > Everything is fine during installation and all runs fine until I perform a ... > Only the last couple of times I had to reinstall Fedora after the updates I ... I always boot to level 3, ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Upgrading Windows on a Linux laptop
    ... So I try to recall what I did after an installation of Windows 7 to the place where XP had resided before. ... This installation resulted in a loss of the grub2 boot menue, because the windows installer had overritten the mbr. ... Booted from a Fedora Live medium ...
    (Fedora)
  • Fedora Core 3 Hangs When Booting
    ... I installed Windows XP first on /dev/sda1, then installed Fedora Core ... x86_64 on /dev/sda2 and the installation seemed to go okay. ... message when trying to boot Fedora. ...
    (linux.redhat.install)
  • Re: Fedora core 3 / XP dual boot
    ... Fedora core 3 / XP dual boot ... This gives you the free space for fedora. ... > of your fedora installation. ... non-destructive partitions and make partitions in the Hard Drive. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Problem Booting from USB HD
    ... Yesterday I successfully installed Fedora v14 on a 1GB USB External Hard ... Before the installation I reset the Boot Order to: ...
    (Fedora)