Re: Chown ???

On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 7:15 AM, Dave Ihnat <dihnat@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, Apr 08, 2009 at 01:11:49PM +0000, g wrote:
not to argue a point, but.

'su' is 'substitute user' as you can substitute to *any* 'user' or 'group', not just 'root user'.
you are a 'super user' if you you become 'root' or 'adm'.

Bzzzt.  Wrong answer.  Thank you for playing.

I was at BTL in the very early '80s.  Writing kernel mods and drivers
for Unix, and teaching Unix internals to BTL employees.  It's always been
"superuser".  I don't know where anyone got this lame "substitute user"
stuff, but it's not authentic.

Cheers,
--
       Dave Ihnat
       dihnat@xxxxxxxxxx

For all intents and purposes the definition has changed over the years, but
the practical use remains the same. So, if I'm user joe and do "su - jane",
then I'm no becoming 'superuser', I'm [s]witching [u]users and I don't have
[s]uper [u]ser privileges. And if I switch to root, it's just another user on
steroids --really good ones.

~af