Re: Chown ???

On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 7:15 AM, Dave Ihnat <dihnat@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, Apr 08, 2009 at 01:11:49PM +0000, g wrote:
not to argue a point, but.

'su' is 'substitute user' as you can substitute to *any* 'user' or 'group', not just 'root user'.
you are a 'super user' if you you become 'root' or 'adm'.

Bzzzt.  Wrong answer.  Thank you for playing.

I was at BTL in the very early '80s.  Writing kernel mods and drivers
for Unix, and teaching Unix internals to BTL employees.  It's always been
"superuser".  I don't know where anyone got this lame "substitute user"
stuff, but it's not authentic.

Cheers,
--
       Dave Ihnat
       dihnat@xxxxxxxxxx

For all intents and purposes the definition has changed over the years, but
the practical use remains the same. So, if I'm user joe and do "su - jane",
then I'm no becoming 'superuser', I'm [s]witching [u]users and I don't have
[s]uper [u]ser privileges. And if I switch to root, it's just another user on
steroids --really good ones.

~af

  • Re: Chown ???
    ... Bzzzt. ... Thank you for playing. ... I was at BTL in the very early '80s. ... and teaching Unix internals to BTL employees. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Chown ???
    ... I was at BTL in the very early '80s. ... Writing kernel mods and drivers ... and teaching Unix internals to BTL employees. ... ...and I've been at this since the 70's and always thought it was "switch user". ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Chown ???
    ... Dave Ihnat wrote: ... I was at BTL in the very early '80s. ... Writing kernel mods and drivers ... and teaching Unix internals to BTL employees. ...
    (Fedora)