Re: Dependency broken or my config?

Kevin Kofler:
Attachments on such a high-volume mailing list are also a huge waste of
bandwidth. Not everyone who's subscribed to the list will want to read it.

Patrick O'Callaghan:
Actually if they use a reasonable IMAP mailer (or a webmail system) they
don't need to download it unless they want to read it.

Not everybody can. Not everybody has access to such a system, wants to
use a system, or has a client that will leave attachments on the server.

Large emails, for whatever reason (HTML and crap, attachments, etc.), do
waste a lot of bandwidth and storage space. On servers that pass the
message along its way, and on those that store the messages. And, the
more recipients, the more bandwidth.

And I'm not sure attchments actually are forbidden here. I'm sure I've
seen people posting screenshots now and again. Don't they count?

Seems to be based on filesize. It seems that above some threshold, you
get silently moderated.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.21-78.2.41.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.

  • RE: [Full-Disclosure] FD should block attachments
    ... Semantics on filtering has no place here as that's your own security issue ... FD should block attachments ... At the moment my mail server is a postfix server with amavisd-new, ... I am lucky and pay for bandwidth at a flat rate and since my ...
    (Full-Disclosure)
  • Re: Anti-Spam ideas for usenet/list harvested email addresses
    ... > on mailing lists that only accepted email from the list servers I was on ... Spam is bad not only because it takes a lot of bandwidth, ... > up a safe list to see if the user accepts email from that server. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Test messages to -questions
    ... > So just because this guy was considerate and said 'test' in his ... > the questions list is to verify his posts are getting here. ... > other lists have this problem? ... The actual waste of bandwidth comes from having a conversation about whether ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: wifi bit rate
    ... It wastes storage space and bandwidth. ... I don't know the number of members on this list, ... Being wasteful to a project isn't good for its finances. ... read messages from the public lists. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Web server permission in FC9
    ... conform to this list's etiquette. ... I know you don't care, and I don't care you don't care, ... Go and waste other people's bandwidth, ... I read messages from the public lists. ...
    (Fedora)