Re: How to redirect http to https with Apache/SVN/SSL [SOLVED]

Arthur Pemberton wrote:
On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 12:18 PM, Daniel B. Thurman <dant@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Arthur Pemberton wrote:
On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 9:51 AM, Daniel B. Thurman <dant@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Patrick W. Barnes wrote:

On Sunday 10 May 2009 19:26:51 Daniel B. Thurman wrote:

DRAT! TYPO!

Should be:

<VirtualHost host.domain.com:80>
ServerName host.domain.com
CustomLog /svn/Admin/logs/access.log combined
ErrorLog /svn/Admin/logs/error.log
SSLProxyEngine on
ProxyPass / https://host.domain.com/
ProxyPassReverse / https://host.domain.com/
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost host.domain.com:443>
[...]
</VirtualHost>

My mistake was the 2nd VirtualHost clause where 80 should be 443:

Now, that's better ;)

Keep in mind that having Apache proxy non-HTTPS queries will mean that
the
link from the client to the server will NOT be SSL-protected. Traffic
from
the SVN client to your server will be in the clear.

Sigh, I tested http://[...] and it appears that SSL certification is not
being requested, so it appears that you are correct.

I will keep trying. If anyone has a (potential) solution, please let me
know?

Why don't you just turn of http? And/or redirect all http to https?

Then that would mean that my normal website for anonymous users
would be forced use https when it is not required?

As it is, I could just drop the <VirtualHost host.domain.com:80>
code block for subversion and who cares if subversion reports an error
for those attempting to use the http:[...]/svn/svnX string, as it would
not be allowed except for https.

Seems nicer to force http to https only for /svn requests but perhaps
there is no solution/support for it... from what I can tell, others have
claimed to get this to work but I have not been able to duplicate it.

Put a redirect to https inside a <Location> tag then
I tried that, it does not work:
$ svn list http://host.domain.com/svn/svn1
svn: PROPFIND request failed on '/svn/svn1'
svn: PROPFIND of '/svn/svn1': 301 Moved Permanently (http://host.domain.com)