Re: Many problems with F11

On Mon, 06 Jul 2009 15:33:44 +0000
Croombe F. Pensom wrote:

Finally, to save me future bother and suchlike, is it possible to
install several distros on the one HD and be able to select them at
start-up?

Yep. I do it that way, always installing new distro from scratch it
a separate partition and not switching to that as the default
till I have it working well.

My primary master boot system is a stand alone grub leftover from
installing fedora a long time ago with a separate /boot partition.
I just kept the /boot partition and use it for chainloading the
other systems with entries in grub.conf like so:

title Fedora 11 x86_64
rootnoverify (hd0,1)
chainloader +1

When I installed fedora 11, I told it to install grub in the
boot partition, NOT in the master boot record of the physical
disk. That leaves my master boot alone and lets the chainloader
startup the grub in the fedora 11 boot partition.

I currently have both 32 and 64 bit versions of fedora 8, 10, and 11
all on one disk, all chainloading from the master grub
(though I admit the only one I'm using these days is 64 bit
fedora 11).

  • Re: fedora-list Digest, Vol 51, Issue 51
    ... A sneak peek at Fedora 9 ... the machinations of the wicked." ... LVM & retroactively creating encrypted /home partition ... some people here do the default install of Fedora and it ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Id like to dual boot Fedora with Debian...
    ... Will it be possible to install Fedora in that partition? ... Fedora installation planned or want to use LVM you could choose a different scheme. ... There are choices on install to select customize a partition scheme. ... The default is to remove all Linux partitions so you ask a very wise question. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: fedora-list Digest, Vol 19, Issue 65
    ... in fedora core3 on 915 intel origenal motherboard how to install xmms patch? ... > An HTML attachment was scrubbed... ... I used Powerquest's Partition ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Id like to dual boot Fedora with Debian...
    ... I've got a backup of the important data from my Debian System. ... empty partition I think I can get it done without too much trouble. ... Will it be possible to install Fedora in that partition? ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Installing core-1 from disc
    ... >> images and view the files inside. ... >Fedora Core iso images so make sure you'll remember it. ... >a Windows partition move them to one of Mandrake's partitions). ... The install from the ISO ...
    (Fedora)