Re: Functional GIT on F11 ?

2009/7/21 Paul W. Frields <stickster@xxxxxxxxx>

On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 06:57:58PM +0100, Aaron Gray wrote:
2009/7/21 Todd Zullinger <tmz@xxxxxxxxx>

Aaron Gray wrote:
> Ah 'the man' Paul, this is good to hear, do you know of a howto for
> Fedora + GIT + SSH Pushes as I could not get it to work, even with
> SELinux in permissive mode.

There shouldn't be much, if anything, Fedora specific about this, so
the git User Manual is probably a good place to start:

http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/user-manual.html#
sharing-development

(There are a lot of git tutorials on the web, many of which are
filled
with incorrect, outdated, or otherwise useless information. :)

> If not could you give me any hints or pointers as to how to do
this.

Assuming you have ssh access to a remote host already, it can be as
simple as:

$ gitdir="/path/to/some.git"
$ ssh remotehost "mkdir -p $gitdir; git --git-dir $gitdir init
--bare"
$ cd /path/to/local/git-repo
$ git push ssh://remotehost/path/to/some.git master

Without knowing just what part of this is giving you trouble, it's
hard to be more helpful. Let us know where you are getting stuck and
I'm sure we can help get you past the problem(s).

Thanks, I will have a go tomorrow as I have not touched GIT for a few
months
now and need to jem up again. The let you know what problems I was having
if I
cannot get it to work.

IIRC pull over SSH worked but push did not, either that or I could not
get SSH
to work at all with GIT, sorry I cannot remember.

I'm a huge fan of the git community book:

http://book.git-scm.com/

I got the O'Reilly one but it does not even meantion SSH. I was hopeing it
would answer all my questions, but alas.

Aaron

  • Re: Functional GIT on F11 ?
    ... Fedora + GIT + SSH Pushes as I could not get it to work, ... SELinux in permissive mode. ... There shouldn't be much, if anything, Fedora specific about this, so ... the git User Manual is probably a good place to start: ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: [ANNOUNCE] GIT 1.6.0-rc2
    ... SSH server with "PermitUserEnvironment yes" added to sshd_config. ... where I have GIT only installed in my home directory. ... a normal user and couldn't change the SSHD config? ... Hack git to support some variable to set the remote command for ssh ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: Functional GIT on F11 ?
    ... so the git User Manual is probably a good ... > IIRC pull over SSH worked but push did not, ... trying to just push to a remote repository set up elsewhere? ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Functional GIT on F11 ?
    ... There shouldn't be much, if anything, Fedora specific about this, so ... the git User Manual is probably a good place to start: ... Assuming you have ssh access to a remote host already, ... I'm a huge fan of the git community book: ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Functional GIT on F11 ?
    ... SELinux in permissive mode. ... There shouldn't be much, if anything, Fedora specific about this, so ... the git User Manual is probably a good place to start: ... Assuming you have ssh access to a remote host already, ...
    (Fedora)